Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

casadecarol t1_j66by01 wrote

Nurse patient ratios affect patient outcomes. Anyone who may ever be in a hospital or nursing home should stay informed about nurse patient ratios.

SteveTheZombie t1_j66f46x wrote

Very true. Ratios should be fixed into law with steep penalties on facilities who break them.

KStarSparkleDust t1_j6e71qw wrote

Yep. You could replace ratio with ration too. These companies are rationing nursing care to the patients to maximize profit.

Total_Customer_6627 t1_j66c7br wrote

> Nurses at each hospital have been working under expired contracts since November. They say increased patient loads, overworked staff and trauma from the COVID-19 pandemic are forcing too many nurses from the profession.

This is pretty fair. Nurses have gone through some shit the last few years.

Aaronkenobi t1_j66dg40 wrote

I work in the lab, its the whole health care system. They let MBAs with no idea what actually doing the various jobs involved in patient care make all the choices. The MBAs only give a shit about money and thats it

kalekayn t1_j693hb4 wrote

The only people who like bean counters are themselves and shareholders.

deformo t1_j6ad3ha wrote

I scoff at MBAs. Business degrees are worthless (I have one). Some dipshit with no practical experience gets thrust into a position of ‘make this efficient!’ That’s a fucking engineer’s job.

idk012 t1_j6ceoyy wrote

It's more like mph and mha and not mba

SalvageCorveteCont t1_j66yxie wrote

But not exactly something really fixable, I mean once Covid started that would have done a number on the training of new nurses.

blackesthearted t1_j67p250 wrote

Education has suffered since COVID and as a result NCLEX pass rates have suffered since COVID, which has affected how many new RNs enter the workforce. But we’re bleeding current nurses. That can absolutely be helped.

(They’re also making the NCLEX “Next Gen” - aka more difficult - starting in April which isn’t going to help, but new RNs are also notoriously terrible, so it’s not unjustified.)

idk012 t1_j6cesf3 wrote

A few years ago, there was talk of hiring less rn and more bsn in the industry. Did that ever happen?

blackesthearted t1_j6cwgdg wrote

Yes and no. A lot of systems shifted to only hiring RNs with BSNs (as opposed to the other option, RNs with ASN/ADN), and trying to encourage/require their ASN RNs to get BSNs. A lot of governmental agencies and international authorities called for the phasing out of ASN RNs.

Then COVID happened and the nursing shortage got worse as nurses of all stripes died, became disabled, or just left the field, and all that talk got thrown out the window - at least where I live. Fewer nurses graduated and fewer nurses passed the NCLEX (worth noting that all grads, ASN and BSN, have to pass the exact same NCLEX), so we had more leaving and less coming in.

Some health systems have started hiring ASN RNs again. The health system I worked at after I graduated went BSN-only for a while (in part because it's attached to the large university I attended, and they prioritized their own grads), but they now hire ASN RNs again, because they need all the RNs they can get. You still sign an agreement to at least enroll in an ASN-to-BSN program within four years, but I don't know how closely they're sticking to that.

swizzlemc2pots t1_j67vgh1 wrote

Not just nurses all healthcare training ceased. Like my surgical tech program cancelled the entire thing. Covid wiped outhealthcare training and the loss of qualified people means its gonna be really bad for like atleast 2 year. Im a traveler now and they pay really well.

KStarSparkleDust t1_j6e7gvb wrote

They should have been better prepared before hand. Nurses have been screaming about the dangers of “lean staffing” for at least the decade I’ve been a nurse. Nothings been done to improve the situation and in most areas it’s even been as sabotaged.

MrTastey t1_j6d3eyn wrote

The EMS system is on the verge of collapse in the US for the same reason’s unfortunately.

TabletopMarvel t1_j66qf2r wrote

"15% over 3 years."

Imagine being blind to inflation and confused when the nurses aren't.

saihi t1_j676jof wrote

I find both nurses AND teachers to be in similar boats: lousy pay for interminable working hours and lack of professional respect.

In both cases, these highly educated professionals are generally treated on a par with fast-food workers.

Were I to read that both nurses and teachers nationwide had gone on strike, I would applaud.

Nurses care for the health of our nation in the present. Educators care for the health of the nation in the future.

Both occupations are vital and are essential.

swizzlemc2pots t1_j67vlly wrote

Go be a travel nurse. $6000/week for some contracts

−5

IMMARUNNER t1_j681b8g wrote

Or realize that full time staff nurses are the glue and holding everything together and make a very small fraction of that.

I was one of the only full time staff nurses on my unit. One night I looked at the board and I was working with all travel nurses and had to pick up their slack since most didn’t know how to do things at my hospital. I realized I was a clown for doing their work while making wayyyy less money and decided to quit. A few others did the same and my unit is 100% travel nurses at night.

Hospitals can’t function long term with this many travel nurses. Not because of the pay, but because of the knowledge. Some are great, but some don’t give a fuck and will just move to another hospital if they are reprimanded for not doing their job

Sorry if your loved one is staying there overnight, they aren’t getting good care at all and it will only continue because uneducated people like you try to spread around that everything is okay 🤷‍♂️

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j68b3m2 wrote

You realize that doesn't solve the problem, right? That just makes it worse.

Professional-Tie-324 t1_j69vgqe wrote

Exactly.

Travel nurses wonderful people who they may be no absolutely nothing about the policies procedures and practices you need to the hospital they've just arrived at, Many hospitals are quite large and they don't know where anything is.

There is a difference between a travel nurse and someone who has worked in the hospital for 25 years and knows how to do absolutely everything and knows where everything is and has excellent working relationships with all the other staff.

Travel nurses are the equivalent of throwing an army together out of people in a week who've never seen each other before and expecting them to be effective. There's a reason military units train together for years. And there's a reason people who've trained together and work together for years are far more effective than the way bean counters think of people which is just an employee number that is replaceable and just like any other employee number.

That is something that gated community wealthy ceos who don't even know any of the people who work for them except for the top handful and Bean counters don't understand but stand and swear just isn't true.

But you ask any human going back 15000 years whether or not it is valuable to know your community and be a part of your community and then show that data to the d*** CEO's and bean counters

Fascist_are_horrible t1_j66l450 wrote

Our for profit healthcare systems are dying. All the pressure to keep the broken system going is put on nursing and they are understaffed/under paid. Besides beating the caretakers, it is the patients who suffer. It is not a good time to be sick in a hospital.

getridofwires t1_j677qwo wrote

We need a different approach, for sure. No one asks if the military is profitable. The country decided it’s important and it is funded. Medicine should be the same: it’s not here to make money, it’s a service everyone needs and it should be set up that way.

masquenox t1_j69mnqj wrote

No, I think the for-profit healthcare system is doing fine. After all - it was only ever designed to take care of billionaires' profit margins.

The patients dying is merely an externality - the cost of doing "good business" (which the billionaires don't have to worry about, of course).

CreativeAnalytics t1_j66eqlq wrote

The title makes it sound like they're authorizing an air strike on an enemy hospital.

PolishedBadger t1_j66zdyi wrote

Way to quote the hospital’s anti-union rhetoric while leaving out what the union is saying

masquenox t1_j69mxbj wrote

Right? They literally spend almost three quarters of that (supposed) "article" simply regurgitating what the rich prick has to say about it.

vemeron t1_j69wqym wrote

My wife works at an ER. The amount of abuse from patients they are getting us astounding. Ratios are crazy and they can't keep staff because of how they are treated. They had to put up multiple signs stating assaulting staff is a crime and will be prosecuted.

People have just lost it. I know the waits are crazy sometimes but trust me the nurses know it too and are doing their best.

TwistedTreelineScrub t1_j68t8i8 wrote

Good. It's time for administrators to stop putting nurses in situations that endanger patients.

New-Pound-3375 t1_j684bla wrote

Ah where are there ratio laws???

pokemon-gangbang t1_j69e8k2 wrote

Michigan desperately needs them. I’ve seen the ER at another Mclaren hospital with 3 RNs and one physician. The ER was full, holds waiting to go upstairs, and admin was refusing to let them divert ambulances.