Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FuckedYourSandwich t1_j3skg96 wrote

I saw a documentary about Colorado shipping homeless people to California years ago. Even had a song about it.

allMightyMostHigh t1_j3sxbs2 wrote

I remember when that kid used his skate board and jumped over at least 40 homeless

Djinnwrath t1_j3tfmdg wrote

It was 40 across, three tall.

120 homeless total.

ChickenBootty t1_j3so0bs wrote

Red states still do that. Then they sit there mocking the homeless issues in California, Oregon, etc.

Djinnwrath t1_j3tftbm wrote

Red towns do it too.

Wealthy suburb cops will just grab any homeless they see, drive em into the nearest big blue city, and drop them off at a homeless encampment.

AnBearna t1_j3trc4m wrote

Jesus… and there was me thinking that the start of Rambo just wasn’t all that believable cos a cop would never do that in real life.

SomewhatIrishfellow t1_j3tmb1g wrote

In fairness California is super cool to the homeless.

roborobert123 t1_j3uih6r wrote

CA and NY so rich, they can afford it.

−17

waka_flocculonodular t1_j4330pe wrote

Doesn't make it ok. You post a lot in r/sanfrancisco so you should be aware of how shitty The City is. And doesn't help that states like Nevada have shipped the mentally ill to SF on one way tickets.

Kahzootoh t1_j3tx2l0 wrote

Only because California (and other wealthy states, like NY) tend to assume that homelessness is a problem to be addressed rather than exported.

California doesn’t want the homeless, it just looks “super cool” when compared to poorly run states in the Midwest that constantly export the dregs of their society to California and delude themselves into believing that “small government” is working.

Those states are poorly administered, and they chronically fail to provide enough education, jobs, housing, and other social investments to build a state that can absorb all of the people they produce.

It’s why the entrepreneurs and elites in those states are disproportionately people from places like California and New York- Boise ain’t producing too many people with the education or experience to run a modern industrial enterprise.

In time, the gradual flow of elites from California and New York will probably change the political culture of ineptitude and backwardness in those states but progress isn’t going to happen overnight.

−24

jschubart t1_j3tp4vt wrote

It is pretty common for large cities to do that information. The idea behind it is not bad: the person they are sending knows someone in the destination city that can help them out. The problem comes with follow up. If there is no follow up (which is rare), then there is no confirmation that the person actually got help. There is little incentive for the original city to check in because that costs money and they technically did their part by reducing homelessness in the city.

And when I say it is common in large cities, it does not really matter whether they lean left or right. LA, SF, and NYC sends out quite a few homeless on one way tickets as do places like SLC and Florida.

https://i.redd.it/aje7plg1vy931.gif