Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gone213 t1_j5pszr0 wrote

So let's get this straight, Lithuania or Latvia sent tanks and urged Germany and Poland to send tanks. Germany and Poland were in a standoff on who would send tanks first. The US announces they'll most likely be sending in Abrams tanks and now Germany and Poland will be sending in their leopard tanks? Did I get that right?

hallese t1_j5punf3 wrote

I think Poland was more concerned about getting a pledge from Germany that the tanks Poland sends to Ukraine can be replaced some day, and that Germany wasn't going to ban Poland from future purchases.

stanleythemanly85588 t1_j5sfcoq wrote

it was probably issues with end user certificates, Poland is buying a ton of Abrams and black panthers from S. Korea

one_jo t1_j5q3sdr wrote

Afaik there where a lot of older tanks sent by various nations including Germany via trade. German chancellor Scholz didn’t want to send Leopard 2 tanks though without American support and them sending Abrams tanks. Apparently the US is willing to send some now so probably Scholz will agree on Leopard 2s too. According to German news the decision will be made tomorrow. Not sure how der Spiegel knows more already.

usrevenge t1_j5sh0zg wrote

Everyone is trying to send stuff but they want to be polite and not take the first step.

It's 3 people each trying to pay for dinner.

Morbanth t1_j5t3c1d wrote

>Germany and Poland were in a standoff on who would send tanks first. Did I get this right?

No. Countries that buy the Leopard agree to follow German arms restrictions and everyone was waiting for permission from Scholz to send their used, older model tanks to Ukraine. Scholz asked the US to put their money where their mouth is and send Abrams first, which they agreed to. Now Ukraine is getting 30 Abrams and about 100 Leopards.