Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

zebisnaga t1_j9o75pb wrote

I never understood why people brush their teeth and then go eat breakfast, that makes no sense ... first eat then brush

jennywhistle t1_j9qhuh9 wrote

So the real reason that's not being explained is that our enamel is softer and weaker after a night's sleep.

So, in your mouth, there is bacteria. Even brushing as well as you can, there's a microbiome that's ever-present in your mouth (this is why traditional mouthwashes are so bad - they unbalance ALL bacteria in your mouth, even the good stuff).

This bacteria stays pretty much in balance in a well-taken care-of mouth, as long as there is saliva present. Saliva washes away food particles that bad bacteria feast on, boosting their numbers and creating bad odor. But, more importantly, when bacteria feast on sugar, it turns to acid.

This acid softens our teeth, which is why those with chronic dry-mouth will often suffer cavities more frequently.

When we sleep, saliva production pretty much halts. That's why you wake up with a cottony mouth. If you eat right after waking, you're basically converting any sugar you eat directly into acid that goes to work at your teeth.

By brushing prior to eating, you "restore" your mouth's balance, stimulate saliva, and are ready to eat.

zebisnaga t1_j9qt2xl wrote

that makes sense , but still, why dentist say otherwise?

that pratice (brushing the teeth before eating) is something I only see in america, not in europe.

−16

DankArcane t1_j9r0w25 wrote

Brushing teeth before breakfast totally happens in Europe too wth

source: am a European

Lanky-Truck6409 t1_j9og6vm wrote

It's actually healthier for the teeth since you clean them without it interacring with the food. No need to brush after meals unless you want to get rid of some smell, and then mouthwash works better.

[deleted] t1_j9oo330 wrote

[removed]

mysticaltater t1_j9uuebh wrote

But then that food sticks between your teeth and festers, no? I know we don't brush after lunch either but still. Idk, just paranoid after having $3000 of cavities/extraction mostly from no flossing I just wanna make sure my teeth are taken care of the best way

Agile-Masterpiece959 t1_j9pf4wm wrote

Especially if you're going to have OJ with your breakfast! The taste of OJ after brushing your teeth is the worst!

HappyMan476 t1_j9qvzph wrote

Nope! No, no no. I can taste it right now. NO. OJ. AFTER. BRUSHING. TEETH.