Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

anengineerandacat t1_j9pq5qg wrote

>A new bill has been proposed in Florida that would enact a series of animal protections and guidelines, such as banning cat declawing, animal testing for cosmetics and dogs hanging their heads out of windows.

The bill overall is filled with a lot of good... and I generally understand the concern for not having the dogs in these places in a vehicle (in the event of an accident you can 100% guarantee the dog isn't going to make it if they are in these positions).

I feel like it's just a "bit" of overreach.

I also haven't read the bill entirely but do these restrictions also apply to cats? Because having a cat in your lap, or a window cat bed isn't exactly "uncommon" for some cat owners while driving to and from the vet or long trips.

SpooktasticFam t1_j9re6c9 wrote

I agree with you. I regularly take my chihuahuas places, and have little "child seats" for them that live in the back of my car.

However, I also own a greyhound, and I have been trying for YEARS to find a harness/seat belt that would work for her. I have called/emailed multiple companies that make these products tell me that it's not feasible or possible to make a seat belt for a greyhound (or any sighthounds, really) because of how they're built (no chest to speak of, just legs). We also don't own a car to fit a crate big enough for her.

I don't think I'm alone in this predicament as well.

I mean, I definitely get the sentiment, and I do think we as a society should move towards safer dog-transport practices, but I also think this is an overreach.

I'm always willing to hear other counter-arguments though

RedoftheEvilDead t1_j9s77ws wrote

I agee. I have a thing that attaches to my dogs harness and the seatbelt and keeps them secured in case of a crash. It still gives them enough movement to look out the window though. A crate and/or supervisor seems wholly unnecessary.