Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Matthew_C1314 t1_j9lcz8y wrote

IDK, to me the Keto diet looks like it was created by a cardiologist trying to drum up business.

UnkleRinkus t1_j9lja79 wrote

It's been pretty well documented that the original doctor behind all of us fearing fat and cholesterol faked his data in his studies. Then the USDA (or FDA, I can't remember) started pushing grain based foods into the food pyramid' to pacify agricultural interests.

Jewrachnid t1_j9n5atm wrote

What are you talking about? It has been a well-established fact that high cholesterol significantly increases your chances of developing heart disease.

Feynnehrun t1_j9pqisz wrote

It's also well-established that high dietary cholesterol has a very weak if any impact on blood cholesterol.

pseudocultist t1_j9ocb0e wrote

High bad cholesterol, and keto doesn’t increase bad cholesterol for everyone, nor significantly if it does. But some people shouldn’t be doing it at all for this reason, sure.

−1

Raptoer t1_j9mkjpc wrote

The keto diet is trying to force the body into a state of ketosis, where your body skips the step of converting fats to glucose. There are 2 potential uses for this, treating epilepsy, and type 2 diabetes.

However to actually achieve ketosis requires an EXTREME diet, and if you don't fully reach ketosis then you don't get any of the benefits. Just 50 grams of carbohydrates is too much. A true keto diet is like, 80% pure fat. Imagine sitting down for dinner and mostly heavy cream and butter.

​

It may have negative effects on your heart health, but since its primary use is for treating epilepsy that medications cannot control, that's generally considered acceptable. The halfassed keto diets that people do for weight loss are just pointless.

Allbymyelf t1_j9n7ok4 wrote

I wouldn't say low-carb diets are pointless. Study after study has shown that if you're going to cut calories from your existing diet, you'll be healthier and less miserable if you cut carbs rather than fat. What's pointless is replacing carbs with fat without lowering your food intake, and expecting health benefits.