Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Effective-Elevator83 t1_jal4tr4 wrote

Maybe by “shredded” they mean “stolen by a porter and sold to black market traffickers”.

eaturvegetables t1_jal6n21 wrote

ohhh that would make way more sense! i was imagining hotel staff literally shredding passports lmfao

Effective-Elevator83 t1_jal6s6m wrote

It’s especially strange because the article just glosses over it like it’s a completely reasonable incident.

eaturvegetables t1_jal6xcu wrote

yeah exactly! it made it sound like normal hotel protocol and oopsies these passports went in the shred pile

Effective-Elevator83 t1_jal8aib wrote

The “most” reasonable scenario I’ve found is that the hotel might use a bulk shred service. The passports got dropped in the locked bin for…reasons? Then the service stopped by and replaced the full bin with an empty bin.

The hotel and tourists might not notice until it’s time to check out.

Beautiful_Fee1655 t1_jan1454 wrote

Most shred bins (for pickup by a service) only have a thin slit opening suitable for inserting at most a few pages at a time.

It would take an intentional act to feed 41 passports into a bin like that.

Effective-Elevator83 t1_jan1pbc wrote

Obviously, the only two possibilities are malice or ignorance.

The most plausible scenario I’ve read for ignorance goes like this: 42 kids leave their passports at the office desk. The hotel safe is too small for 42 passports. The receptionist drops them in a trash bag to keep them all together. Hotel staff finds the trash bag full of passports and dumps them in the shred bin.

Beautiful_Fee1655 t1_janfv5v wrote

More likely, hotel staff opens the "trash" bag, and without asking anyone purposefully feeds the passports, one by one, into the shred bin. Not ignorance in my opinion.

Terrafire123 t1_jaljj4v wrote

We were intending to shred these OTHER passports, and your passports accidentally got mixed in.