Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BNI_sp t1_jalmpt1 wrote

That's surprising. And totally unfair to the recipients of the real medal - especially the purple heart.

ShadowDragon8685 t1_jalr0wh wrote

We take the right of free speech very seriously here. Perhaps too seriously; or rather, we permit it to be abused in manners that allow some "Exercising their rights of free speech" to infringe upon others free speech - or other, even-more-serious rights, like life!

But no, it's not even illegal for the cops - or anyone else - to hand out outright fraudulent purple hearts, as long as those wearing them do not fraudulently misrepresent themselves as having earned the genuine article with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit.

Emberlung t1_jam39mg wrote

If it's even thought about in regards to his court case then it's for tangible benefit (of association with the REAL Purple Heart award) and as soon as they refer to it even tangentially they should be opened up for massive litigation.

ShadowDragon8685 t1_jam45h6 wrote

Nope, because the act specifies the specific military awards which it is illegal to fraudulently claim to have earned for tangible benefit.

This is a different "Purple Heart." Which he did "legitimately" earn, by the standard of "the pigs can give themselves whatever medals they wish."

BNI_sp t1_jalrifx wrote

>We take the right of free speech very seriously here.

I know. But there is also brand protection. If you can't steal a commercial brand name, I am surprised that one can take a free ride on a military medal.

Edit: it seems I am out of touch with situation given a supreme court decision in 2005.

I shake my head and shut up.

ShadowDragon8685 t1_jalrt6q wrote

> I know. But there is also brand protection. If you can't steal a commercial brand name, I am surprised that one can take a free ride on a military medal.

Funnily enough, works of the United States government (including the military) are public domain.

Also, this would be like saying "I work for Pepsi, and I got this nifty 'best salesman of the year' badge back in '17." That's not a crime unless you're doing it to try to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit. That could mean trying to get a job based on fraudulently misrepresenting your credentials, or trying to claim some benefit (either governmental or not) offered to veterans (or Pepsi Salesmen of the Year), such as free/reduced meals at restaurants, or being stood for alcohol at a bar by someone lapping up your stories of elite Pepsi salesmanship; it could stretch as far as getting sued by someone who had sex with you, then claims that they would not have done so if they had known you were not what you were pretending to be, which would be an interesting court case.

valeramaniuk t1_janp4be wrote

>right of free speech
>
> Perhaps too seriously;

Go fuck yourself.

−4

ShadowDragon8685 t1_janpcl4 wrote

Yeah, no.

Maybe if we'd cracked down on the fucking Nazis when they decided to march through Skokie back in '77, they wouldn't have been parading their fucking swastikas and slavery banners through the Capitol building on 6 January of last year.

valeramaniuk t1_janpskm wrote

The only fucking Nazi here is you. Your kind loves to gag people.

−11

ShadowDragon8685 t1_janpzkj wrote

Oh look! Hey, look! We've found the Nazi with his amazing argument of "No you!"

valeramaniuk t1_janq7td wrote

Right, and it's you.

Parading with a flag doesn't make a Nazi; physically silencing other people does.

I'll go wash my hands after talking to you.

−4

shalafi71 t1_jap2e53 wrote

Parade that flag around me you goddamned fascist, see what happens. What is it you filth say? "Fuck around and find out."? I am game, all in. "Gagging" would be the kindest result I can think of.

"We have hateful views and speech, so what? Why are we being cancelled?!"

You're being cancelled because polite society finds you to be vermin.

Now, would you like to talk about current Republican legislation to limit the 1A? Money says you do not want to talk about that particular cancer. Fucking coward.

trucorsair t1_jap3m7y wrote

Just going to drop this here, in the US military the Purple Heart is also called “the enemy marksmanship medal”. I have one from an IED that almost blew my hand off, luckily the shrapnel hit my metal watch band, tore it all to hell but it took the bulk of the impact, only ended up with six or seven stitches.