Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WaterChi t1_jasscki wrote

I recommend hippoburgers. The US almost did that ... we were going import hippos to fight an invasive plant and for meat.

theguineapigssong t1_jav6p2g wrote

I believe you meant to say "lake cow bacon". Also, the solution to this problem is comically simple: hunt all the hippos. The government could sell the licenses to big game hunters and turn a profit on this problem.

Kind_Bullfrog_4073 t1_jauarg1 wrote

You dont want hippos. They kill for sport. No wonder Pablo Escobar liked them.

thisisinsider t1_javatgz wrote

Hey, thanks for sharing! More from the author:

"The drug lord illegally imported hippopotamuses to his Hacienda Nápoles ranch, about 125 miles away from Bogotá, in the 1980s. When he was fatally shot in 1993, four hippos were left at the ranch.

"Decades on, however, environmental authorities estimate that there are now about 130 hippos in the area, with the group having rapidly reproduced and spread beyond the confines of the ranch, CBS News reported.

"Authorities fear that the number of hippos could reach 400 within eight years, with the animals multiplying fast because of a lack of natural predators, favorable weather conditions, and ample food and water, CBS News said.

"The newly proposed plan would involve sending at least 60 hippos to Gujarat in India and another 10 to zoos and sanctuaries in Mexico.

"It focuses on the animals living outside the ranch because those inside live in a controlled environment and don't threaten the local ecosystem, CBS News said."

Sloth_grl t1_jasv3ld wrote

Do people actually eat hippo meet?

DrSkyentist OP t1_jasv9an wrote

It's a pretty common dish in west Africa and is a delicacy in other parts of the world. Never tried it myself though

Armitage1 t1_jasy4ya wrote

Hippos are invasive ?!

pokey68 t1_jat6v0u wrote

Not when they’re sober, but give them a few beers……

rugbat t1_jasxilq wrote

Find some thrill seekers to go harvest "river oysters". They could become a special delicacy.