Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

OneLongjumping4022 t1_jay6kd9 wrote

Their motivation for stating the true and honest reason for their actions while in court is ALL IMPORTANT - the judge spent quite a while discussing what their motivation in telling the truth could be.

Their motivation for protesting, however, is absolutely never to be spoken out loud, and besides it's completely beside the point! Why would the motivation behind a.crime even matter, duh? Said. The. Judge.

vascop_ t1_jazwzgu wrote

Everyone thinks they are right. These two blocked a road for everyone else and ignored judge orders. If everyone that has something they care strongly about started cutting roads we wouldn't have a society for long.

SellDonutsAtMyDoor t1_jb03kat wrote

If people don't protest climate crisis we won't have a society for very long...

Darzok t1_jb1ymrl wrote

You do not understand the problem enough to make a comment like that as if you did you would not make it.

vascop_ t1_jb048an wrote

Like I said, if you ask others, they will tell you the impending doom is coming due to other reasons. AI will destroy the world, nuclear weapon proliferation, religion going out the window and the collapse of the family unit, climate change, these are all pet subjects from different people. Living in society means understanding you might be wrong. The way you feel about climate change, that the other subjects I mentioned are stupid or meaningless in comparison, that's how others might feel about your topic.

All of those might be correct to different extents, but the fact you think you're right doesn't mean an ambulance doesn't need to drive through the road you're cutting, for example. If I start cutting roads to protest the US doing drone strikes on children I'm right but I still will go to jail.

−1

SellDonutsAtMyDoor t1_jb06poz wrote

There's a little something called scientific objectivity that separates some of those things from others. Courts are supposed to be scientific.

The fact that you think you're right doesn't mean you should be able to block emergency responders, but putting an outright ban of explaining the defendant's reasoning is stupid and is not in any way the necessary response. It's not one or the other and I'd argue it's antithetical to the concept of fair trial. Courts are supposed to have nuanced reasoning and the judge does when deciding upon a punishment.

vascop_ t1_jb07guj wrote

What's incompatible with a fair trial is making a mockery of procedures to determine if you blocked a road or not by doing a PowerPoint on climate change. It's incredible you are dancing around the fact that no level of "I think I'm right" allows you to block a road and act like an asshole in court.

−2

SellDonutsAtMyDoor t1_jb08pl1 wrote

I literally said that I didn't think that, you dummy.

It's not a question of the act and it's consequences, it's a question of the intended act and it's intended consequences. You seem to have lost your edge on the ethical and philosophical considerations that are massive in determining how we are suppose to condemn certain behaviour, and your defence of this mechanism of the legal system comes off as infantile, reductionist and, ultimately, quite flaccid.

I lost my mother within the last year in an instance where faster ambulance response might have saved her, but I can recognise that not being able to explain yourself in court is a far wider problem than just me.

OneLongjumping4022 t1_jb133qo wrote

If only they would agree with everyone else that corporate profits come before planet death. I mean, kids are horrible little beasts, and your great-grandchildren will taste nummy. They'll be so happy you stood up for faceless corporations over your heroic fellowmen.

But hey, protesting out loud while wearing breasts! Get the scolds bridle! Oh, right, the judge already put that on them.