Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Toloc42 t1_jbqd028 wrote

There is one scenario where I can make this make sense. And that scenario has a lot of guesswork since I don't know the exact start up procedure of a Tesla car.

If the car unlocks and starts as long as the linked phone has connectivity, and stays drivable without further confirmation for a short time window after getting out and back in for convenience, then, if the owner of the other car had just gotten out and was still close enough, this might have been possible.

I do not know if Tesla cars work this way or can be configured to work this way.

Then the guy didn't get in because of an app mix up, but anyone else could've done it too. It's hard to imagine the other driver not noticing it though. Maybe if the second owner stood next to the first car, because they were confused too?

I'd believe a lot about the quality of Tesla cars, they don't have the best rep anymore, but the app actually unlocking a car next to the one it's actually linked to? No. That's beyond any level of incompetence.

EmptyAirEmptyHead t1_jbqnitz wrote

Tesla's have a key card as well (like a credit card). Odds are the owner of the car left the key card in it, car will never lock then. New guy walks up, does 'unlock' in his app and opens the door. Presto he thinks he unlocked the car. He did not.

L0nz t1_jbsmcfz wrote

The key card is NFC and has a very short range. Leaving it in the car won't allow someone else to drive your car, it has to be touched against a specific part of the centre console before you can select a gear, and it's unlikely to stay on that part of the console during transit. I'm not buying this explanation