Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gaeilgeoir215 t1_jc5qxee wrote

Can we please give Florida back to Spain? PLEASE‽‽‽

infectiousoma t1_jc5smtu wrote

I say we split Florida off and let it float away like in Rudolph. Although that enormous glob of seaweed that's making it's easy to the coast may just do God's work for us.

cosmicrae t1_jc73pbc wrote

Oh my. History lesson time, Florida was originally the land of the native indigenous people. Spain explored, spread diseases (probably smallpox), which wiped out many of the indigenous population, then claimed Florida for the Spanish Crown. Can’t really give it back to the indigenous, because most of those tribes are now gone.

We could, remove all humans, fence it off, and let nature reassert itself, but I don’t see that happening, because there is no profit in it.

Thank you for listening to my TED-talk :)

Gaeilgeoir215 t1_jc9nwyk wrote

No shit, Sherlock, but it wasn't a singular whole state under Native American rule, and there were several tribes in that part of the continent. So, if not Spain, how exactly would you propose to cede it back to peoples who were largely massacred and whose survivors were largely absorbed into neighboring ethnicities?

You can fuck all the way off with your stupid history lesson. Don't come for me unless I send for you, bitch!