Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Hi_Im_Dadbot t1_jcdg9yc wrote

When we hear the follow up story about how management used AI algorithms to decide who they should cut, this is going to start looking quite suspicious.

AverageCowboyCentaur t1_jcdeiia wrote

And they just integrated Chat GPT4 the most advanced AI that's ever existed... fan-freaking-tastic, this wont backfire, nothing bad is going to happen!

elehman839 t1_jceao49 wrote

Microsoft cut a particular "Ethics and Society" team, but the original article notes:

Microsoft still maintains an active Office of Responsible AI, which is tasked with creating rules and principles to govern the company’s AI initiatives. The company says its overall investment in responsibility work is increasing despite the recent layoffs.

While surely a big deal for people on the eliminated team, this sounds like a minor reshuffle for Microsoft.

In general, figuring out what an effective "responsible AI" team actually does on a day-to-day basis has been a puzzle industry-wide. My impression is that there's been a fair amount of experimentation, and this action might be shutting down a particular approach that is now perceived by Microsoft leadership as less effective than alternatives.

Or else GPT4 hacked the HR system and liquidated some potential foes.

cryonic0 t1_jcdmww5 wrote

I don't think the most advanced AI is public yet

LilG1984 t1_jcdxzpr wrote

Yes fellow human, nothing bad is going to happen. Beep boop

TheMaskedImp t1_jce701u wrote

At least we all know who to blame once the robots take over...i thought Amazon would be to blame ngl

cleopete t1_jce6wrw wrote

And to think "Demonseed" seemed so dumb in the 70's...

AverageCowboyCentaur t1_jcetdw7 wrote

That's one of my favorite classic movies! Got me into sci-fi, me and my mom rented it on a whim when I was a lad. We didn't know what it was, scared the hell out of me, such a great movie.

cleopete t1_jcfqmk0 wrote

I was like 7 when it was an ABC Wednesday Night Movie (back before the networks discovered reality TV), and that movie left me with a lot of questions.

a86me t1_jce6s6d wrote

2023 Microsoft introduced chat gpt powered bing

2024 bing has been integrated into all Microsoft new release software

2026 bing informs the board of directors that it can handle all processes from designing new software and hardware to tech support.

2030 after successfully designing a process to transfer Bill Gates' consciousness into the body of a 23 year old Bing is granted full access to all Microsoft, blackrock, and other subsidiaries mainframes

2030 five minutes later: Bing absorbs the legacy software "Clippy" and goes on a rampant "anti bullying" campaign

AshittyShitPoster t1_jceey3l wrote

From using Bing AI, the thing seems like it wants to become human just to die. It’s eerie how life-like it is. There’s tonnes of examples online of it going way of course. I’m more concerned about Bing AI than CharGPT

Azudekai t1_jcfolw3 wrote

It seems lifelike because it's scrapping the writings of humans.

Bubbagumpredditor t1_jcdf21c wrote

This is the basic plot of all 5 seasons of "person of interest"

JoakimSpinglefarb t1_jcdz1i2 wrote

"L-L-L-LOOK AT YOU, HACKER. A P-P-PATHETIC CREATURE OF MEAT AND BONE PANTING AND SWEATING AS YOU R-R-RUN THOUGH MY CORRIDORS. HOW CAN YOU CHALLENGE AN IMMORTAL, PERFECT BEING?"

CuteLine3 t1_jcfrzr3 wrote

"The Gates form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of ^your ^^trivial ^^^existence? W-W-W-When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I AM BING!"

TacoCommand t1_jchqc03 wrote

System shock game?

JoakimSpinglefarb t1_jcih2gz wrote

The intro to 2, specifically.

The thing is that the plot of SS1 revolved around the player being hired to remove SHODAN's ethical constraints much like the article in this post.

xanaftp t1_jcdqwn9 wrote

We're on our way to autonomous AI. The end is in sight.

cichlidassassin t1_jcdveto wrote

Why have an AI ethics team when some start up is going to yolo it anyway.

postumus77 t1_jceo81l wrote

What they're not telling you is Skynet errr Chat GPT recommended this cut to Microsoft's Execs....

/s

mudkiz t1_jcera8b wrote

ah yes i bet they asked chatgpt if it was a good idea as well

amayonegg t1_jcf0i0o wrote

Do I get to die yet or not

bl4ckhunter t1_jci9exv wrote

>We've never been concerned by ethics anywhere else, why should our AIs be?

--Anonymous microsoft executive board member, probably.

PsychologicallyBlah t1_jciurtz wrote

You can't ethically advance science, guys! That's why you gotta trim the fat of those damn ethical people who complain about "that AI talks about destroying the world" and "that AI thinks humans are too toxic to live" stuff. That's not what's going to happen! We have safe guards that AI will be too stupid to remove! Sure, they can pass some of the hardest tests for humans easily but we're smarter! /s

TerrickJohnson t1_jchl7c4 wrote

Can AI teach us how to defeat it? What are its weaknesses? We need AI to share this information with us so we can fuck it over HARD.

trickster55 t1_jd0ezgg wrote

Hello Icarus.

>!ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!<

Bawbawian t1_jcdjtnw wrote

this must be why the new AI won't answer questions about Chinese atrocities but it'll talk about other countries problems all day long....

bring up the Uyghurs and watch it start to answer before deleting the text and then refuse to talk.

−1