Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kernburner t1_jcj7g7j wrote

People will say, “Oh, he’s just a bad apple.”

No, the majority of police officers are trash people who abuse their power.

AanthonyII t1_jcj86yy wrote

A bad apple spoils the bunch. They never like finishing that saying

Eziekel13 t1_jcjggzq wrote

So how do we get “good” people to be cops?

How do weed out the “bad” when accepting applications?

−11

HappyLittleRadishes t1_jcjmcej wrote

How about having literally any standards during the hiring process and actually, truly firing and blacking the ones who offend.

soda-jerk t1_jcjxjel wrote

I also think Internal Affairs shouldn't be a thing. It puts us in a "who watches the watchmen" situation, but to be honest, I'd prefer just about anyone else scrutinizing the police, than themselves.

azuresegugio t1_jck5bon wrote

I like the idea of a community council that oversees the police department

Eziekel13 t1_jcl98kk wrote

OK so that works for people that are already hired but what about the hiring process?

Also, given your response… you seem to think I’m defending somebody/something, I am not

I was literally asking how do we hire “good” people in a position of authority…

The reason I used quotes is to emphasize, the fact I believe good and bad is a spectrum rather than a binary classification…

−5

sennbat t1_jcl24pj wrote

Historically? Shutter the police department and open a new one, putting people you can trust to do good things in the face of adversity (like cops who were pushed out of the previous department for whistleblowing or refusing to engage in malfeasance) in charge of setting up the new system.

This was the traditional FBI strategy for dealing with bad departments and it works well, while most other approaches don't. Getting good people to be cops is difficult while bad cops are calling the shots and actively working to keep them out.

Getting good folks in charge from the get go lets them develop appropriate methods of identifying and retaining good officers appropriate to their locality.

Crooked_Cock t1_jcn0439 wrote

Making it so that bad actors actually get punished for abusing their power would be a good start