Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Banana-Oni t1_jdg87uz wrote

But in order to get enough blood to make bricks, wouldn’t you need to wait ages for it to regenerate between blood draws so you don’t exsanguinate the astronauts?

Either way this seems fuckin bananas to a layman. Next study: “Cashew milk is better than liquid spider silk for making space cheese, scientists say”

DeepLock8808 t1_jdhekef wrote

You need some bricks? You have to wait two months between small loads while having access to large supplies of food and water that would presumably make excellent bricks. Also making the bricks reduces your physical capability to use the bricks.

hilburn t1_jdhxq48 wrote

The idea was not to bleed astronauts dry, it was more "what can we do with human liquid waste?" so they were investigating urine, sweat, blood etc

Ahelex t1_jdimv01 wrote

I'm struggling a bit to think how there would be enough blood as human liquid waste to be considered for making space bricks.

hilburn t1_jditb0y wrote

My memory of the original study was looking at it pretty watered down so you could get a reasonable-ish number of bricks per point, but also that it was a bit of a "well they made bricks with animal blood in the past, so let's see what kinda of properties they have" kind of study.

I guess in the event of an astronaut dying they could harvest the blood to make a porch or something though