Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

66ChickenHens t1_je84oql wrote

Man- that free health care is really something

−13

cdiddy19 t1_je8cr0z wrote

That isnt the comeback you think it is.

Dental isn't universal in the UK...

It's like people in the US without universal healthcare, they take matters into their own hands.

66ChickenHens t1_je8d8iw wrote

I don't have universal healthcare and I don't "take things into my own hands" (US citizen)

−21

cdiddy19 t1_je8deaj wrote

You might not but many many Americans do. Or hold off care, or just suffer without care, or go into debt for medical care

66ChickenHens t1_je8e0jm wrote

I must not have read the fine print on the european free healthcare that is so highly touted in the US - I hope this isn't what the democrats are wanting me to sign up for when they tout that program.

−24

cdiddy19 t1_je8edps wrote

That's the thing, the dental care isn't universal, or "free" their medical is though. And their medical ranks way better than the US.

DareDaDerrida t1_je8n5cv wrote

See, the whole issue is that these guys do not have universal dental care.

WaytoomanyUIDs t1_jedxm83 wrote

Dentistry was always the red-headed stepchild of the NHS. You only get limited free dentistry if you are under 16 or on benefits. Otherwise NHS patients have to pay for that limited range of treatments. Often dentists finagle it so they and the NHS end up paying more than it would cost a private patient (dentists are contractors to the NHS, not employees).

And the Tories have been systematically destroying the NHS over the last 13 years. As a result most dental surgeries have stopped taking new NHS patients.