Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

joiedevivre4 t1_irvysnj wrote

So let's think this through ... Farmer owns cows. People eat his products. Cows fart (so do humans so to be fair, we should tax human farts, too). People tax cow farts and burps. Farmer can't afford to pay taxes per head of cattle so he reduces inventory. Farmer no longer can feed people who eat his products ... people go hungry. (Or die from eating too many man-made products that also require a bigger carbon footprint).

Seems logical to me.

Edit: Oh, BTW ... Farmer and his friends all still have meat on their tables because his neighbors still benefit from the farmer/rancher's work. But all you city dem/libs ... I hope you like the world you've created.

YpsilonY t1_irw9bcu wrote

>Farmer owns cows. People eat his products. Cows fart. People tax cow farts and burps. Farmer can't afford to pay taxes per head of cattle so...

I'm with you this far, but then you go off the rails a bit. Here's what actually happens:

... Farmer raises prices to keep up with higher production cost. Animal products are now more expensive to buy. People change their diets to more plant and less animal based. Plant based food is now more in demand so framer expands production into areas previously used to produce animal feed crops. Emissions decrease. Land use decreases. Nobody starves.

Also, footnote: Yes, humans fart too. But humans have a different diets and are considerably smaller then cows. Thus human fart emissions are negligible in comparison.