Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Doktor_musmatta t1_iwmjw2d wrote

"better than most other state flags" [citation needed]

GetlostMaps t1_iwmmftb wrote

A true vexillologist would tell you this is a shit flag because it's too complex. The dot, the yellow line inside the black shape - these are not reducible, the flag is too complex. It's a shit flag designed by someone who doesn't know how to design flags.

wokesmeed69 t1_iwnjf4c wrote

It might be a shit flag but I wouldn't be surprised if a shit flag is still better than most state flags.

rimjobnemesis t1_iwnbzs6 wrote

It’s the Honeybee State, so a hive.

GetlostMaps t1_iwnl940 wrote

The fact it's a hive isn't the problem. It's that it's too fine-detailed which makes it a terrible flag.

grimeflea t1_iwmnwza wrote

So there’s no snow by the sand igloos?

Sad.

CowFckerReloaded t1_iwmu4tw wrote

Should’ve been more like the Japanese prefecture flags huh? Beautiful simplicity.

MisterFribble t1_ix9nqap wrote

I liked the one where it was just the beehive on a blue background. This is a huge improvement over the current flag though and any state that has a seal on its flag.

Hab_Anagharek t1_iwmljzh wrote

Babylon (n) --> Babylonian (adj.)

FinnaNutABigFatty t1_iwnpojh wrote

The flag should just be a flag that says UTAH in comic sans

stdTrancR OP t1_iwmjjzj wrote

> “This flag is Basic and means Absolutely nothing. There is no patriotism in this flag,” another posted, without explaining their capitalization choices.

geronimo1958 t1_iwmlj4m wrote

Nothing special or awful. Just kinda meh.

For reference the best state flags are simple. Checkout New Mexico and South Carolina. Both are regularly in the top 5 list of state flags.

digiman619 t1_iwn5280 wrote

You misunderstood their meaning. It's not that this is really good, it's that most other states' flags are godawful.

geronimo1958 t1_iws0l60 wrote

This new one for Utah is better than most. But as you said that is not a great endorsement. I just looked at the old flag and this new one is an upgrade.

[deleted] t1_iwmn5w4 wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_iwmn5y5 wrote

Sorry, but your account is too new to post. Your account needs to be either 2 weeks old or have at least 250 combined link and comment karma. Don't modmail us about this, just wait it out or get more karma.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

nytefox42 t1_iwmklgc wrote

Either way, it's still Utah so 🤮

slythr_ t1_iwmpm6k wrote

Bees??

MeaningSilly t1_iwmtzhx wrote

Yes. The first settlers of the area revered industriousness. They put used the phrase "Busy as a beehive." And even named the "nation" they were creating (and later the state they were proposing when they realized they weren't going to be allowed to compete with the USA) after the world for bees in the Book of Mormon.

Deseret

dirtmother t1_iwout7j wrote

... why does the book of Mormon have a separate word for "bees"?

MeaningSilly t1_iwoxyg5 wrote

Supposedly, one of the tribes of Israel hopped on hollowed out logs with magic rocks in them and floated across the Atlantic to the Americas where they set up shop building a new Israel. Then Jesus visited while doing the whole "I'm dead. Psych!" thing, a war broke out, and all the "good" Native Americans were killed. Their history of the whole thing was written on some solid gold plates and buried in upstate New York and found by con artist and aspiring prophet Joseph Smith, who read the hieroglyphic "reformed Egyptian" text on the plates by putting them in a hat with a pair of magic "divine" rocks that translated them for him by God's will. The text that came from this was the Book of Mormon.

So the different wording was part of the con from the aforementioned "reformed Egyptian" text.

[deleted] t1_iwmllul wrote

[deleted]

[deleted] t1_iwmn417 wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_iwmn42s wrote

Sorry, but your account is too new to post. Your account needs to be either 2 weeks old or have at least 250 combined link and comment karma. Don't modmail us about this, just wait it out or get more karma.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

bdwoot t1_iwoks61 wrote

That's actually a pretty sharp design. Like it.

[deleted] t1_iwmn22k wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_iwmn24g wrote

Ctorran t1_iwnoc7t wrote

I give the Maryland flag props for boldness. They embrace it. It may be a little...garish, but at least it's unique and instantly recognizable. I also like Hawaii's flag and I don't care who knows it.