Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ragnarotico t1_iwycbsk wrote

The reason he retired isn't because of a $672K card. That's not going to last you a lifetime when you're 28 years old.

He retired because he graduated from Stanford (smart) and realized that there's not much point in playing football anymore when he's already made $28M in his career.

He would rather retire, save his brain and body and pursue some other passions like collecting and trading Pokemon cards.

wwJones t1_iwz9cl0 wrote

Pretty sure he didn't "retire." He "retired from football."

sunsetrhythm t1_iwyt2pv wrote

More power to him, if that's the case. Dude football is scary to watch.

passwordsarehard_3 t1_ix0oue6 wrote

It’s going to be viewed the same way we look at gladiators fighting to the death. The owners sit back and make billions while these kids smash their heads together until they get brain damage.

classyboner t1_ix0sbd4 wrote

Playing football is the same thing as stabbing someone with a sword

typewriter6986 t1_ix24wlc wrote

They should allow wild and exotic animals out of the field during play. Now that would really spice things up.

Steezywild12 t1_ix2va6y wrote

Or just give the wild and exotic animals the ball. Who could bring down an elephant? A pack of wolves, maybe…

DrunkStepmother t1_iwz45o7 wrote

Graduate and accepted as a football player to be fair

ThaBomb t1_iwz7g11 wrote

Stanford still has very high academic standards for their athletes…

Not to mention Blake’s major was management science and engineering, and he still was receiving awards for his academics. It’s not like he chose communications or something to say he graduated with a Stanford degree. Seems like a pretty smart dude

https://gostanford.com/sports/football/roster/blake-martinez/7588

whatproblems t1_iwzc02o wrote

smart enough to recognize he didn’t need football probably loved playing but didn’t need it

KingfisherDays t1_iwzt58k wrote

What is management science and engineering? Sounds more like a business degree with a fancy name

Ruma-park t1_ix19lci wrote

It's very likely a business degree with a couple of techincal classes so that you are better able to understand technical details later in your job.

Wunder_boi t1_ix0l7ud wrote

Communications isn’t technically difficult but fuuuuck is it a big workload

chromeVidrio t1_ix05vlw wrote

I’m tired of that trope. I was an NCAA athlete. You ever try to get good grades in college and play a sport full time at that level? We do more than you. If we graduate with the same GPA as you while playing a sport, we are smarter than you. We are also more athletic than you. Are some of us dumb? Yeah, but so are some people who aren’t on the team.

−18

Naughtai t1_iwzotr9 wrote

Yeah, I've heard a lot of NFL players get used to making a few mill a year and then when they retire, they don't change those spending habits and blow their savings in 5-10 years. It sounds like he has a better head on his shoulders, pun intended.

Gogh619 t1_ix0ky0a wrote

I bet a woman pushed him to do that. You know what they say, men are only as smart as their woman. No clue why gay men are so successful though. Mystery.

−11

Mactan t1_iwzeuw2 wrote

That's not fair. He should finish out his contract.

−15

drethnudrib t1_iwzhpf6 wrote

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. If he'd gotten hurt, his team could (and probably would) have cut him and not paid another dime. Seems to me that turnabout is fair play.