Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Helphaer t1_iy44j25 wrote

Ehhh he tailor picked what to share and stopped sharing anything against his benefactors. It's basically fox news.

DennisHakkie t1_iy454r3 wrote

That is true, but does that matter? Journalism is still journalism. Newspapers need to get money as well, if you have a certain demographic you need to cater to them… If the journalism is good, does it matter what gets published and what doesn’t?

Helphaer t1_iy45p99 wrote

I believe if you willfully lie or suppress opposing or conflicting information that is credible then you're likely to misrepresent situations and cause a reaction or feedback to them.

We see this on Fox news all the time. An informed public is vital. But a willfully lied to public is not. There are still echo chambered people who do not know the Jan 6th Capitol Attack wasn't antifa, wasn't Democrats, wasn't more than a tour, and so many more things. This influences them.

Assange influenced what others thought while preventing information that might conflict or balance.

In reality he should be seen as an unregistered political actor or saboteur in context. But how to properly classify and punish is a complicated task.

HandsomeDeviledHam t1_iy58ygh wrote

>If the journalism is good, does it matter what gets published and what doesn’t?

I think so. Let's say I have evidence company A and company B are both selling products that make your teeth fall out. But for whatever reason I only report the evidence about company A and I say nothing about about company B. The journalism is good and I'm not telling any lies but its completely reasonable to question my motivations.

Tonkarz t1_iy5pg61 wrote

Of course the difference between real journalism and raw propaganda is incredibly important.

DennisHakkie t1_iy5qolg wrote

Like, a good example would be about the Yakuza in the early to mid 90’s. The journalism was there, it just wasn’t published because A) everyone was afraid of them and B) they lined everyone’s pockets not to write about what they did.

Good journalism isn’t propaganda, that isn’t journalism. Every idiot with a typewriter can make propaganda

Flipside, most news has to be sexy now because of social media. Every time there’s a mass shooting somewhere you read the last messages or see a video victims sent to their loved ones, it’s insane. I personally try to only consume text only news nowadays because of that