Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GetlostMaps t1_izlrkn3 wrote

They obviously have high standards. That's what we want.

peter-doubt t1_izleh55 wrote

This is how you race for the bottom!

QuestionableAI t1_izln7ti wrote

Well, it depends if you are standardizing success or failure quite frankly and it appears they chose the later.

Im_pattymac t1_izn2bvi wrote

I had a chemistry class in university like that. They curved marks down and then required a higher grade to progress to the next class.

Specifically they required you to have above a 78.5 and they curves grades down so that the average grade was 62.5.

This caused many students to have to take the class over and over and over again, paying money each time.

Llaniam t1_izmd1j0 wrote

I’d like to see a statistic of total graduates before passing judgment. The entire point of online learning for many families is the flexibility it offers. Plus “on time” is just some made up time frame.

MyDudeNak t1_izme21l wrote

It may be a "made up" metric, but when their online students are worse than their in person students by nearly three times, it seems obvious they are failing at successfully implementing distance learning.

Online school is flexible yes, but graduating on time is incredibly important and that flexibility should not come at the cost of hampering a students future just because it makes things easier for the parents.

luchajefe t1_izn1sbl wrote

>successfully implementing distance learning.

Distance learning flat out isn't viable with a naturally disinterested audience.

The reason it works with colleges is that those students are paying to be there to improve themselves. School-age kids don't think that way.

zanderkerbal t1_izogjea wrote

I see Scott Moe is joining in the proud Canadian conservative tradition of deliberately crippling public education. Doug Ford's doing similar things in Ontario.

Llastia t1_izmdh28 wrote

My kids have all used SunWest. My oldest (gr12) will not graduate “on time”, but the program is designed for that type of flexibility. Just bc the statistics look bad, doesn’t mean it’s all just bad.

−4

Zedd2087 t1_izn7sbx wrote

ummm sorry but when only 1 out of 4 are graduating its bad no matter how you look at it.