Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hidden-in-plainsight t1_j5nayy9 wrote

Change something that was coined in the 7th century?

Why? Shits been fine for a long fucking time, why change it now?

Psychomadeye t1_j5neu3h wrote

Because the information is literally just higher quality.

> "our recent displays used the term 'mummified remains of...' and include the name (when known) of the person who has been mummified...[to emphasize] that mummified remains are of people who once lived."

Literally emphasizing that this is in fact the body of a king and not some weird supernatural creature because children and even some adults don't know it.

Also you'd probably not understand a word of English spoken in the seventh century. Here's Beowulf in the English from around that time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf#/media/File%3ABeowulf_Cotton_MS_Vitellius_A_XV_f._132r.jpg

NNewt84 t1_j5o1hds wrote

Seriously? I’d have thought, at least nowadays when B-movies are a thing of the past, that most kids WOULD hear about mummies in the context of Ancient Egypt. Bloody American neurotypical men and their refusal to pick up an encyclopaedia, amirite?

−4

Psychomadeye t1_j5rfncr wrote

UK but same concept I guess. Most of the information kids get is from eachother unfortunately. And adults often don't exactly do enough to explain the situation to children very well even at funerals.

>most kids WOULD hear about mummies in the context of Ancient Egypt

Yes, very often in the same breath that says they are the bird god of the sun and that they are mummified so they can make their way to the realm of the jackal that is the god of the underworld. Then they hear about "the mummies curse" from friends. Then this information is relayed by a game of telephone.

NNewt84 t1_j5rygwe wrote

Dang, that’s insane. See, I didn’t really hang out with the other kids at school that much. Like, yeah, I had a few friends I would hang out with from time to time, but most of the information I learned as a kid came from books, television and the occasional museum day. You know, because those are made by ADULTS who know what the frick they’re talking about, so I trusted them over the word of some random kid at school.