Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

alzee76 t1_j4byfns wrote

Trying to figure out what the "his excellency" stuff is about and it's rendering the article a bit suspicious.

> According to Roberts II’s website: “Rollan Roberts II is an American businessman, government advisor, and 2024 Republican candidate for President of the United States

The only place google turns up the phrase American businessman, government advisor, and 2024 Republican candidate for President of the United States is this article, and they don't actually link to his homepage of his. No other photos of him in this getup either. RIS for it just turns up a bunch of historic military dress uniforms.

ETA:

https://rollanroberts.com/

No photos of him doing cosplay here I could find. The origin of the title is explained though:

> He was given the African diplomatic designation of His Excellency as Peace Ambassador to Nations from the International College of Peace Studies.

"International College of Peace Studies" smells like a sort of religious circle jerk that exists solely to offer "training" to members who belong to an affiliated church, with an impressive sounding name slapped on it to try to buy some credibility.

JawaPunter OP t1_j4c1rqk wrote

I can verify he's a real person since his father was the principal at a school I went to. I'm not going to link his website but it's just his name .com without the II. As far as where his claims come from, I have no idea. That's what makes the article so Onion-like. No one's heard of this dude and he's pushing the excellency thing like it should be obvious.

alzee76 t1_j4chhjk wrote

Ah ok, I will, there's no reason not to.. Thanks!

teplightyear t1_j4csgd5 wrote

I mean, he straight up advertises himself as the 'son of a state senator,' which kinda isn't that big a deal. That's a $20k/yr part time job in most states.