Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

froggison t1_j63ajs4 wrote

This is being taken way out of context. (However, even in context, it's still a little dumb.) They aren't saying don't say "The French" in general, they were using that as an example of how you shouldn't write any nationality. The French, The Dutch, The Japanese, etc. Instead, you should write French people, Dutch people, and Japanese people, etc.

Obviously they weren't going up to bat to defend the poor, downtrodden French people. Just using it as an example.

WinoWithAKnife t1_j63bckb wrote

It's not just nationalities, it's other descriptors like that as well. In their post (which as far as I know was just a post of an excerpt from their guide, not a change), they also explicitly called out, ironically given your last sentence, 'the poor'.

Coelacanth3 t1_j63cvyq wrote

It kind of makes sense tbh, "the" descriptors for nationalities aren't super offensive or anything but they do come across as slightly disrespectul and there are better ways of phrasing it, same for "the poor".

OutOfStamina t1_j641u58 wrote

I find it an indicator of someone's other ideas. if they say "republicans" but also say "the democrats", they really give away their hand on many positions without even knowing it. Maybe it's a dogwhistle and I'm supposed to pick up on that... but I think most don't know they do it, just part of their programming.

chucklesbro t1_j65hgu7 wrote

Not programming, useful. What should I say when I want to make a statement about all french people collectively? For example, The French pay higher income taxes than The Germans (I have no idea if this is true). That is not offensive. And, it does not mean precisely the same thing as saying French tax rates are higher than German tax rates.

TenzenEnna t1_j661ula wrote

"France has a higher income tax than Germany"

Doesn't seem that hard IMO.

You could say "Your average French citizen will pay a higher income tax than their German counterpart" if you wanted to fancy it up.

​

Also same claim as above, No idea if that's true, just showing sentences.

OutOfStamina t1_j6e18qe wrote

>What should I say when I want to make a statement about all french people collectively?

In your question you literally just did it without saying the more dehumanizing "the French". So... "French people" by your own example. "All french people"... "Some french people"... just a few ways to not use "the".

omni42 t1_j65ij2i wrote

It's a pretty solid sign they don't see that group as people, they see them as a block of other. It's not that it's rude, but what follows it probably will be.

froggison t1_j63cs2n wrote

Yep, thanks for clarifying my comment! I just meant that "the French" part was referring to nationalities. But, yes, the sentiment was to avoid using "The [x]" and instead write something like "[x] people."

RoyChavelle t1_j63kv2e wrote

They were saying it was ironic because in your last sentence you said “the poor” in the same sentence as the term French people. Just a silly - pretty good silly Wino

featherfooted t1_j64w5jj wrote

It's a series of adjectives though?

"the poor, downtrodden French people"

That's not "the poor & the French"

RoyChavelle t1_j65fpbb wrote

They’re just saying it’s funny that the two words ended up being together, not that the person is wrong, it’s what could be best described as a “dad joke”.

Prince_Day t1_j6548ak wrote

‘The’ in that sentence refers to ‘people’.

AUniquePerspective t1_j64jdfb wrote

Notably, because this is reddit, it's the same grammatical issue of taking something that should be an adjective and using it as the noun to define a group that we see when someone writes females.

cthulu0 t1_j64buhu wrote

Its still sort of dumb and helps creates the problem its supposed to 'solve':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnjpG4HjO30

fahrvergnugget t1_j654d15 wrote

First of all a clip from the office isn't the authority on whats considered racist language. Secondly, Michael asking in good faith what's a less offensive term than Mexican is still better than him just straight up saying "You Mexican!" in an offensive way.

cthulu0 t1_j65orrw wrote

>...authority on ....racist language

Oh man I work in HR and I was going to screen the Diversity Day episode in my presentation to the employees, but good thing you warned me else I would have been in serious trouble!!! Thanks man!

−4

Itavan t1_j65udfh wrote

I found out recently (I have Jewish friends) that calling someone a Jew is not nice. You have to say "Jewish person." I had no idea. Ditto not calling people the Dutch, the French, etc. I wouldn't be insulted if someone called me "the American", depending on their tone of voice.

SoySauceSyringe t1_j67lkab wrote

I don’t think you’re giving yourself enough credit. I bet you kinda had an inkling. Like, let’s say you have one uncle who talks about “Jewish people” and one uncle who talks about “the Jews.” You’ve got a gut feeling as to which one might not be speaking about them so nicely, don’t you?

PunxNotDed22 t1_j68szyp wrote

This sounds like a spin off of the "Ukraine or the Ukraine" debates that happened last year.

Devz0r t1_j64nefj wrote

We can’t sanitize everything. Sometimes it really feels like there’s a push more toward “doubleplus ungood”. Not everything needs to be scrutinized and under the microscope

inb4 literally 1984

idler_JP t1_j66ofdm wrote

From the Sublime, to the Ridiculous.

Oh, sorry! I mean from Sublime people, to individuals who suffer from Ridiculousness.

nmj95123 t1_j663ca0 wrote

They claim it to be dehumanizing because it may "... sound dehumanizing and imply a monolith rather than diverse individuals." How does "French people" imply a monolith any less than "the French?"

chucklesbro t1_j65ggnj wrote

And yet, people of France refer to "The Americans" frequently.

−4