Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AndyB1976 t1_j4twmr1 wrote

Doug Ford has already got Ontario!

Bokbreath t1_j4tv7ne wrote

How many ? 30-50 ?

CitizenCobalt t1_j4v4kn2 wrote

The article says there were 14, but groups can easily get up to 30 or more. New Zealand is dealing with groups of 60+. And it just occurred to me that, unlike Canada, New Zealand has zero large carnivores that would prey on feral pigs. Crap, they are screwed.

kevinds t1_j4u24d8 wrote

>Alberta’s strategy incentivizes hunting directly, offering to pay hunters $75 per set of ears.

Fuck!

Please no! No no no.. Just no. Bad bad bad.. Fuck

Dimako98 t1_j4u2n5a wrote

Don't worry, it won't work. People in the US machine gun them from helicopters, poison them, trap them, blow them up with tannerite, hunt them... It's all hopeless. They reproduce faster than we can kill them.

kevinds t1_j4u6855 wrote

>Don't worry, it won't work.

Don't worry about what?

I know it won't work. Paying 'per head' never works.

There are always people who breed them to collect money.

Someone will know of a herd of them, and then they watch them, turning a few at a time, rather than taking the whole heard, as a money making operation..

Or as the company in the article is doing, raising them to invite 'hunters' to pay to hunt them.

Perverse Incentive aka The Cobra Effect

>When the British ruled India, bureaucrats in Delhi grew concerned about the proliferation of cobras in the city. To get the problem under control, authorities offered a bounty on cobra skins. This economic incentive worked well – too well, as it turned out.

>Soon cobras were being slain willy-nilly, and the government was pleased with its bounty program. However, several enterprising Indians heard the knock of opportunity in the cobra’s hiss. These opportunists began breeding cobras for their skins.

>And so it wasn’t long before the British were up to their knickers in cobra skins. When officials discovered the scam, they withdrew the bounty. But that’s not the end of the story.

>With the bounty program cancelled, innumerable cobra breeders in Delhi were stuck with, shall we say, “excess inventory.” The herpetological bubble had burst, and their erstwhile cash cobras had become lethal liabilities. So the breeders set their vipers free. And once again, Delhi had a cobra problem – only worse than before.

>Fort Benning, Georgia was having a problem with feral pigs. The Army offered hunters a bounty of $40 for every pig tail turned in. People began buying pig tails from butchers and slaughterhouses at “wholesale” prices, then “reselling” the tails to the Army at the higher bounty price.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/machiavellians-gulling-the-rubes/201610/the-cobra-effect-good-intentions-perverse-outcomes

willstr1 t1_j4vj7t4 wrote

I doubt this will cause the cobra problem. First off there are already a lot of people raising hogs, they are called pig farmers so it's not like it will cause an industry to appear that wouldn't/shouldn't exist otherwise. Second while I am not a pig farming expert I doubt a full hog is worth less than $75 so at worst this may get exploited by existing pig farmers as just a little extra profit per pig but it's not like sketchy farming subsidies are new either.

hour_of_the_rat t1_j4ubw9r wrote

>Or as the company in the article is doing, raising them to invite 'hunters' to pay to hunt them.

The farmer isn't raising wild boar, just regular farmed pigs.

When domesticated pigs escape, they revert to wild pigs in two generations.

kevinds t1_j4uh9ui wrote

>The farmer isn't raising wild boar, just regular farmed pigs.

>When domesticated pigs escape, they revert to wild pigs in two generations.

They are just letting them grow, and then hunting them. Not feeding or sheltering them, but not killing the herd either.

They are not domesticated, they are not captured/counted, so they wouldn't count as escaped.

As close to raising them as they can get, without actually claiming the animals as theirs.

So bad.

>wild boar hunting in Alberta is wildly popular, in part because there is no limit on the season. At HogWild Specialties in Mayerthorpe, owner Earl Hagman sells both wild boar meat and overnight hunting packages. Large trophy boar hunts are $1,800, and hunters can bring any legal weapon and are guided through the property. 

>Hagman says the packages are popular, and the business hosts around 10 hunters per month. However, he says most people “come for the meat” because of Hagmans “natural” raising process: meat animals are $1,000 each. 

No-Owl9201 t1_j4u9xvr wrote

Much of what said here, about pigs could be equally said about the European invaders of these lands.

HDSpiele t1_j4uds4t wrote

Fuck boars in the Americans they are invasive here in Europe they are at home they are harassing us tearing up our lawns and they are terrifying. Seriously if you see one pray not even a gun will stop them.

AngelsFire2Ice t1_j4uxse1 wrote

Guns will definitely stop them, just need a few rounds. Main argument globally for why mag size limits are shit

CitizenCobalt t1_j4v0lbh wrote

I remember everyone laughing at that "what if 30+ wild hogs invade my farm?". I'm just sitting here thinking "you've clearly never met a wild hog."

HDSpiele t1_j4uzwhk wrote

Only of you can aim of the boar is mad enouth one 9mm will not do it any you need to shoot accurate and fast enouth because a boat is fast as fuck.

AngelsFire2Ice t1_j50zo8y wrote

That's what I'm saying, mag size limits are incredibly dangerous to hunters if they're hunting a boar, cuz it's not just the size of the bullet but if you can even hit it in the first place. I saw a video of an Italian hunter shooting one with shotgun slugs, only allowed a mag size of 3+1, shot all her shots at it and it was STILL charging her

HDSpiele t1_j54h015 wrote

I live in Austria and my town has an espacily bad boar problem with them coming out of the woods going through trash and digging up our lawns and even tho we can have unlimited rounds for hunting rifels and non automatic shotguns we still can not kill them because of the law while the woods are bordering on our town they are not our terretoriy they are the naibour Ing towns terretoriy and they do not care about the damage done to us so they won't do anything about the boars and we can not shoot them in the woods without their permission but we can also not shoot them while in town because you have to be a certain distance away from a town before you can shoot a gun.

JuanClusellas t1_j4wd91s wrote

TYE BOARS ARE ARMING THEMSELVES AND COMING FOR OUR CHILDREN!

Wagnaard t1_j53bpit wrote

We've all read Animal Farm. We know where this is going.

acuet t1_j53mojo wrote

Thanks climate change…..Now is the time to issue special visa for American Hunters to shoot the F out of these pigs. Or consider issuing license to Canadians, like it Europe to kill and sell the meat to Canadians or ship to Europe as a product. Just saying, win=win.