Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SelectiveSanity t1_j5udndj wrote

I've actually contemplated the use of flogging as a viable alternative towards judicial punishment of minor crimes considering the ridiculous amount of time some people get sentenced for when being found guilty of them, provided the accused is given the choice of the two options of course. I mean who wants to spend 10+ years in cell just for doing something really dumb like stealing from a convenience store while being a dumb teenager when you could face a couple of lashes, spend a few months recovering from them and living with the shame of your actions while hopefully learning from your mistake and finding a way to get your life back on track. Is it really cruel and unusual given some long sentences are given out because of corporatism.

So what does this guy have to say-

>Freshman Sen. Dwayne San Nicolas is working on a bill that, if enacted into law, would allow “caning,” or whipping one’s buttocks with a piece of wood as an additional punishment for violent crimes such as rape, murder and armed robbery.

...where the fuck does this Krampus in a Santa skin suit think he lives?! Singapore!? He may be from and be a representative of Guam but its still a US territory last I checked and they still follow US Codes and Laws and as far I'm concerned dealing corporal punishment on top of a prison sentence falls under cruel and unusual. Because how long after they start implementing that do they begin considering using it a regular disciplinary measure?