Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Llenette1 t1_j68gwds wrote

Ooh, this is an interesting one. So I'm Black, and what non-Black people see as "internal racism," we refer to as "tokenism." This manifests itself in various ways, but usually in some form of colorism, cultural annihilation/rejection, or other ways to distance oneself from being "Black". It's interesting because these individuals usually align themselves (almost exclusively) with racist whites so that they may prove that THEY are different. That they should be seen differently because they reject any cultural Blackness, therefore, you should see them for who they are, not a preconceived notion of who they are based on stereotypes associated with ski tone..which should just be the basline for any group of people seeing as how no ethnic group is a monolith.

Racism does have a systemic component, though. Internalized racism only helps the individual participating in it (Clarence Thomas, Candace Ownes, etc). It does nothing to serve marginalized groups as a whole. Even if all Black or Latin or Asian people in America legitimately hated white people, that has no impact on say, their ability to get loan, get a job, or get a fair offer when listing their homes on the market. But when the ruling or majority has these opinions about races, those ripples are felt in almost every aspect of life, which is the cornerstone of institutionalized racism.

I say all that to say, yes Black people can absolutely be racist, but it's affects are localized and only harms their respective communities.

Also, this "pastor" is buggin and likely blaming Riri because he's into some nasty shit...which I'm hoping will be exposed VERY soon.

Good discussion!