Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

I_AM_TARA t1_j6xg1pv wrote

When was the last time we had anyone who did prioritize parks? Green spaces are so underrated.

Santier t1_j6ybo3d wrote

Bloomberg. Everyone hates on him but he gave us tons of new green space.

dust1990 t1_j703jrx wrote

He was the best mayor this city ever had. He got hate because people reeling from the financial crisis misdirected their anger at him because he was a billionaire.

Santier t1_j72c2fh wrote

Agreed. He wasn’t trying to be popular (Koch). Wasn’t trying to be a tough guy (Gulliani). Didn’t need to be a celebrity (Adams). And he actually was a no nonsense effective executive (unlike Dinkins and D’Blasio) that got shit done. Now not everyone agreed with him, but he took the job seriously and actually had the skills to do it.

good2goo t1_j77j33i wrote

How much money did he spend on attack ads for trump even when he knew he wasn't going to win. Just because he didnt like trump and he had the money.

take_five t1_j779wsi wrote

He created PlaNYC 2030, an enormous environmental initiative. Nothing was done, except the million tree program which was huge and effective. Great times.

mowotlarx t1_j6xngkm wrote

De Blasio prioritized parks. Parks without Borders and the Community Parks Initiative were both under him and, at least in my opinion, it was a Renaissance for improvements to existing parks and construction of new parks.

Karrick t1_j7209hi wrote

I wouldn't agree with that. De Blasio's admin was just as interested in cutting Parks' operating budget in exchange for more police OT as Adams' is. Parks has consistently been the agency that is just cut to the bone on operations money every cycle and then cut some more. Even those programs were accompanied by drops in staffing.