Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nonlawyer t1_j8x17t9 wrote

My hot take: just ban the delivery apps. Things were fine when you had to pick up the phone and call a place that’s actually in your neighborhood.

Since that’s never gonna happen, at least ban the gross gamification algorithms that force the delivery guys to ride like daredevils or risk being demoted and kicked from being able to work.

whateverisok t1_j8xl694 wrote

Due to COVID, a lot of local mom & pop places closed, so now you're going out further and further to get what you want - it could be 40-50 min time I take off from work just to get whatever I ordered from a local spot back to my apartment.

I still go in-person to the local spots and not the chains, and order there - I need to walk my dog anyway, so it's more convenient.

But I know a lot of people who won't do that even if the place is only a 5 min walk away, because it also ends up taking like 30 min by the time you get ready to go out, go up & down the elevator, and get there

Shreddersaurusrex OP t1_j91fdd4 wrote

Yeah so Doordash and Grubhub are the worst with pickup/deliver by times. DD gives violations for not completing pickups or deliveries by a certain time. If you get enough it can lead to deactivation.

I think that the apps are great but that they need to pay the workers fairly. Ppl need to tip fairly vs just turning a blind eye to the exploitative nature of the system. There’s a cycle of apps making work hard->workers being frustrated->customers not being satisfied.