Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AnacharsisIV t1_j9c5570 wrote

Every Uber driver is a business owner, with their car as an asset. If they feel they are losing money because of that asset's depreciation they can always stop driving it for work.

IloveSeaFoood t1_j9celkn wrote

Right, and I’m sure you also agree that if someone is unhappy making minimum wage, they should just get another job

AnacharsisIV t1_j9chzbh wrote

Literally yes. If you're an adult and you don't have a skill that you can sell for more than 7 bucks an hour, that's literally a skill issue and that's on you.

−2

TheGreatDoheeny t1_j9dnmb9 wrote

Surely you understand though that some people, through no fault of their own, aren't in a position to be making those changes? Should they be left out to dry?

/u/parkerpyne

I'm aware of all that and don't disagree, did you respond to the wrong person? My comment was general and had nothing to do with uber or this specific situation. This is what I was responding to:

> Literally yes. If you're an adult and you don't have a skill that you can sell for more than 7 bucks an hour, that's literally a skill issue and that's on you.

parkerpyne t1_j9dzcw9 wrote

It doesn't change anything about Uber's flawed business model. They've been subsidizing both sides of the coin so far: subsidized ride fairs to ensure there's demand and somewhat inflated compensation for their drivers to ensure there's supply. This cannot scale and Uber knows this.

They are now tightening the screw on both ends, trying to raise fares as well as pushing down driver's compensations. Since Uber has a not insignificant corporate overhead it means rides will be more expensive than those of yellow cabs since those have much a lower overhead. This will instantly reduce their pie of the market to very little. Uber is a dying business and no driver should stake their fate on its survival.

>Surely you understand though that some people, through no fault of their own, aren't in a position to be making those changes? Should they be left out to dry?

That's not Uber's problem to solve even though they so far were allowed to thanks to ill-informed venture capitals. Since VC has finally dried up, Uber will go out of business and that will force the drivers to look for something else.

seafoodgodddd t1_j9ewp28 wrote

Everyone always has an option to change, most people just can’t find the way or the drive to do it.

AnacharsisIV t1_j9dofq7 wrote

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

−1

damnatio_memoriae t1_j9ed2e3 wrote

i... you know what? i'm on board with this. bring on the generation of actually-capable humans. enough of this unwashed masses bullshit!