Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sagenumen t1_j9vcvq5 wrote

It’ll be a rich people’s playground how? People won’t take the train because of congestion pricing?

HEIMDVLLR t1_j9vgv89 wrote

A small number of people will take the train, but best believe they won’t hang out in Manhattan after hours. Also expect any businesses that are affected by the tolls to offload that cost onto their customers.

sagenumen t1_j9w1inv wrote

You have a source on that first part?

HEIMDVLLR t1_j9wircs wrote

It’s common sense, when you hang out late in Manhattan, the best way to get home is in a car (rideshare/yellow cab), because who wants to take the train late at night?

Ride-share and taxis will be subjected to congestion tolls too. You’ll be better off hanging out in Queens or Brooklyn.

−1

sagenumen t1_j9xvf1o wrote

I take the train home at all hours all the time

HEIMDVLLR t1_j9y927y wrote

And when you get off the train, do you have to catch a bus?

sagenumen t1_j9z2m7w wrote

Not home, but in those cases, I usually take the train as far as I can and get a car to meet me. I do the bus sometimes. Depends on timing.

HEIMDVLLR t1_j9zrjld wrote

See that’s what I’m talking about, if I have to take a bus or catch a ride the rest of the way home and it’s late. Then I rather not travel to Manhattan and deal with the subway system. Easier to stay local and then catch that same ride home.

sagenumen t1_j9zs0ec wrote

There are plenty of places to hang in Queens and Brooklyn. All the parties these days are in brooklyn

HEIMDVLLR t1_ja065eb wrote

That’s my original point, congestion tolls surrounding Manhattan will just magnify what’s already happening. Outer borough residents will stay local more often and the hype about Manhattan will fade.