Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LazarusRises t1_japku12 wrote

Reply to comment by ZweitenMal in My OMNYCard design by NYCBikeLanes

Why not just use a credit card...?

ZweitenMal t1_japl66q wrote

Because I get a transit card from work with pretax funds on it, and the card vendor doesn’t offer chipped cards.

itchi_butthole t1_japyfju wrote

Have you tried apple or Google pay? My vendor doesn’t either but they allowed me to add it to Apple Pay (even though the card itself did not have contactless capabilities).

ZweitenMal t1_jaqzq1m wrote

Frankly I’m not comfortable using my phone as a train pass. I want it to be a separate card.

Astoria321 t1_jaxpfvd wrote

Why not..?

ZweitenMal t1_jaxqn8j wrote

1. What if my phone dies? What if I keep it in airplane mode? What if I don't bring it with me? What if I don't trust the apps to charge the right card?
  2. What if I want to lend the card to my college-aged kids, home for break? Can't give them my phone.

There are loads of reasons.

Astoria321 t1_jaxt982 wrote

For one I'd just tap my credit card on those occasions but I guess 2 makes sense.

ZweitenMal t1_jaxz7bn wrote

You missed the part where I said my transit benefit card (pre-tax commuting funds) does not have a chip.

MulysaSemp t1_jask9j2 wrote

I use Google pay to pay for things. And I know, although it really wouldn't be that hard, I would mess up switching between cards on the google pay app. Don't feel like risking it.

Of course, my monthly metro card is cheaper than OMNY currently. When I have to make the switch, I'm hoping the OMNY cards are easy to find.

_busch t1_jar07u3 wrote

a lot of people do not qualify for a CC

freeman687 t1_japl71w wrote

I’m curious too. Is there some benefit to a separate card?

[deleted] t1_jaq2j9w wrote

[deleted]

ipadthighs t1_jaq5u0j wrote

You can reload your MetroCard with cash app rebate from home?

TosicamirDTGA t1_jasjajl wrote

Actually, no, as the transaction comes up on Cash App as OMNY, and not MTA. I've tried with my own OMNY card and Cash App, and no such luck.

manticorpse t1_jar2xnc wrote

Well, OMNY only charges you for 12 rides a week (with all the following being free), but only if you use the same card/device to tap in each time. The way an OMNY card works is that you can reload it online with any credit or debit card (and eventually you'll be able to reload it at vending machines, presumably with cash). So I guess if you want to use multiple cards/accounts to pay for transit you can use the OMNY card to make sure that you still get the post-12-ride discount.

And for families... I can see parents setting up an OMNY account for their kid, giving the kid a card and pre-loading it with cash, and that way the kid has a way to get around.

Also, if you have a non-contactless transit benefits card (like me 😔) then you can use an OMNY card to spend that money.

Lots of reasons.

TosicamirDTGA t1_jasihvg wrote

I have one as a disabled person. My reduced fare is tied to my OMNY card. Can reload with any credit card I want to.