Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_jdzpv21 wrote

I'm not an educator, Social Worker or UFT member, so I won't profess mastery or even familiarity with the syllabus. That said... If one were to hold a seminar about the harmful effects of "Jewishness/Blackness/Femininity" etc. It would be rightfully panned. I don't see how this topic is even considered appropriate. Bashing an entire race is wrong, is it not?

Neckwrecker t1_je0og65 wrote

>That said... If one were to hold a seminar about the harmful effects of "Jewishness/Blackness/Femininity" etc. It would be rightfully panned.

Yes, if it was a different thing then it would be different.

−10

Rottimer t1_je040xm wrote

Bashing an entire race is wrong. The workshop doesn’t appear to do that. But the Post wants you to believe that anyway.

−16

Pretty_Garbage8380 t1_je0by42 wrote

Can you give me a definition of "Whiteness" that isn't racist?

Because, so far, what I have seen from "Progressives" about the topic of "Whiteness" is that it includes concepts like "Meritocracy," "Punctuality," and "Doing Math correctly."

Is it "Progressives" understanding that these are not Human traits, but only tied to "Whiteness?" How is that not racist?

Rottimer t1_je0d9k8 wrote

I’m going directly by how the workshop description defines it:

>Whiteness and white racialized identity refer to the way that white people, their customs, culture, beliefs operate as the standard by which all other groups are compared. Whiteness is at the core of understanding race in America. Whiteness and the normalization of white racial identity throughout America’s history have created a culture where nonwhite persons are seen as inferior or abnormal.

Anyone that has ever made the argument that poor Irish and Italian immigrants weren’t considered white when they immigrated to this country en masse at the end of the 19th century logically believes how this woman defined “Whiteness.” This isn’t a racist definition.

−2