Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

k1lk1 t1_jbebq9i wrote

> According to the lawsuit, they took the soil improvement route, rather than the piling route like many other nearby buildings. Pizarotti claims details of the method used were not revealed to it before it started building the tower.

I don't know, if I were some fancy NYC skyscraper builder I'd probably figure out how the foundation was built before I started. Still though. If they weren't responsible for the foundation, then it's hard to see how they're responsible for the lean.

Also I think it's Pizzarotti, the article spells both ways.

jae343 t1_jbejjv7 wrote

This is more of a developer cutting costs and not listening to engineers unfortunately, the client always wins if they want to save a few million. This is the same developer that owns the very nice Olympia condo in DUMBO right next to the BK bridge.

barbaq24 t1_jbem34s wrote

They most definitely had a geotechnical analysis. You need one. And the report provides details to inform the construction. The issue that occurred here is common and more complicated than “the owner cheaped out”. The structural engineer is ultimately responsible for figuring out the solution, and the contractor is responsible for means and methods. The blame will lie somewhere between the accuracy of the geotechnical report, the design by the structural engineer and the work performed by the support of excavation contractor. In the end everyone loses. Because regardless of who is “wrong” there are enough checks and balances that blame is hardly ever one sided, and nobody can afford to take the kind of punch a delay like this delivers.

ChocolatePleepleus t1_jbegcdx wrote

It's clearly a group better at the CYA portion of their job than they are a the actual job.

WorthPrudent3028 t1_jbevsbf wrote

Looks like the top floors would feel like living on a boat even if it's built right. I don't know why billionaires want to live at the top of these new super narrow skyscrapers.

Im guessing this skeleton will sit there for a decade before tax money pays for it to be taken down when it becomes too dangerous. All parties at fault will be bankrupt shell companies whose owners will still be wealthy but pay nothing towards fixing or removing this building. There's another unfinished new tower by Hudson Yards that is sitting there because they faked architect approval.

ny773 t1_jbexhtb wrote

Yeah, the top floors don't matter when they were meant to be shell/stash houses for foreign money that never intended to live in them anyway. Can't wait for the same thing to happen to the Penn/MSG project.

One-Chemistry9502 t1_jbvndfn wrote

People still live on those towers, even if they aren't always filled.

And the Penn Project isn't even a major residential project, it's mainly an office project.

poboy212 t1_jbf0p3p wrote

I worked on the 40th floor of a building near Madison Sq Park and it would sway visibly in windy days. We would often get seasick. It was awful.

whodattguy t1_jbfbs55 wrote

Buildings are designed to sway.

poboy212 t1_jbfbxu5 wrote

They are, and I worked on higher floors in midtown without this issue. This particular building is notorious for it and sways very severely.

CarlCarbonite t1_jbg0v6d wrote

I can barely get city approval to remove like 30 asbestos tiles and you’re now telling me that people are building massive heavy skyscrapers on just dirt and the city was like “yeah sure why not, everyone else is doing it.” 💀

_allycat t1_jbgg3y6 wrote

The fact that whole area is landfill and a waterfront flood zone is probably not helping.

_Faucheuse_ t1_jbfch1x wrote

425 Park had a little twist and lean.

johncester t1_jbgdgk8 wrote

Fill up a sink and watch it swish around 😳😳

seafoodgodddd t1_jbhiehe wrote

Oh wow I just got done watching this after it popped up in my recommended. Wild how this happened

WordWheelQuery t1_jcxojgz wrote

I remember when the guy fell off this building.....it's haunted