Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Tememachine t1_jdyvn1p wrote

I agree. There is no better/more cosmopolitan city in the world.

tripsafe t1_jdzpasv wrote

What do you mean by cosmopolitan? The literal definition is about how diverse and what proportion of immigrants make up a city's population. Cities like London, Toronto, and Sydney have New York beat in that respect.

−5

RainbowCrown71 t1_jdzsddu wrote

Sydney and Toronto are not more diverse than New York. They’re largely Asian and White. New York has everything.

London is a worthy competitor though.

And diversity =/ immigrants. There’s racial, religious, socioeconomic, ethnic, age, political diversity. All are just as valid as “% who are immigrants”

oldtrenzalore t1_je01ez1 wrote

> They’re largely Asian and White.

I’m not going to argue that Toronto is more diverse. I think the UN seals the deal for NYC. But this is a weird statement to make. Toronto is less white than NYC, and “Asian” over simplifies a diverse group, which includes 14% South Asian (Indian, Pakistan, etc), 10% Chinese, 6% Filipino, 2.5% West Asian (ie middle eastern), 2% Southeast Asian, 1.5% Japanese, and 1.5% Arab.

My go-to metric is language. There are 700 spoken in NYC. Toronto is 200, and London is 250. (All approximate)

RainbowCrown71 t1_je01x75 wrote

No, New York is 31% European White, 29% Hispanic, 20% Black, 14% Asian. Toronto is 44% European White, 37% Asian, 10% Black, 3% Hispanic.

81% of Toronto is White or Asian. That doesn’t scream super diverse to me.

Diverse would be Queens: 28% Hispanic, 26% Asian, 24% European White, 16% Black.

oldtrenzalore t1_je03299 wrote

> New York is 31%

Yes, if you choose to subdivide white people in this manner. If that’s the case, why lump all Torontonian Asians together?

RainbowCrown71 t1_je03cjh wrote

I’m following the Census Bureau categorization. Those are the official splits in the US: White, Asian, Black, Hispanics (of any race).

oldtrenzalore t1_je03u29 wrote

US Census asks about race and ethnicity—that’s why we have two different numbers that are both correct. A great deal of Hispanic New Yorkers identify as white.

RainbowCrown71 t1_je044nu wrote

I’m aware. I even mentioned that above: Hispanics (of any race). Census usually shows “non-Hispanic” for the Asian, Black, White groups.

It’s why Census data is usually presented as four groups: https://censusreporter.org/profiles/16000US3651000-new-york-ny/

oldtrenzalore t1_je04fx7 wrote

The point was was originally making was that this is a weird way of talking about diversity, since there are so many disparate groups in these groupings.