Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TwilitFox t1_jbydcbq wrote

You appear to live right next to the park, must be nice. Most of the city is not nice to exist in. We should probably turn at least every other street into greenspaces with parks and bike lanes. That's what humans with brains and souls would do.

−2

tamwafle t1_jbyg8ky wrote

And who pays for that property to convert it?

djn24 t1_jc03601 wrote

That's not a realistic suggestion at all. NYC is one of the most developed and densely populated places in the world.

Seriously, if you don't like living in that dense and developed of an area, then why not live somewhere else? Why spend years of your limited time in a place that doesn't fit what you want?

TwilitFox t1_jc0cd7t wrote

Why not make the city nice?

−1

djn24 t1_jc0dbup wrote

You didn't write "let's make the city nice!" You wrote:

>We should probably turn at least every other street into greenspaces with parks and bike lanes.

You suggested converting half of the streets in NYC into greenspace and bike lanes. That's not happening. Not just because it's difficult but because it also goes against what so many people want.

Your definition of "nice" probably doesn't match the definition of "nice" for most of the people that want to live in NYC.

Again, why not just live somewhere else if being in such a developed and busy city isn't "nice" for you?

If someone told me they were looking for suggestions on places to live and they really valued green space and places to ride their bikes, then I would recommend a bunch of places before NYC. That isn't an indictment on you. It just sounds like where you want to live and where you live are a mismatch.

TwilitFox t1_jc0e2ki wrote

Nah, we should make NYC nice, with lots of walkable gardens, green spaces, public bathrooms, bicycle lanes. Even if you find my specific preference too green, and you prefer pollution. But since you speak for all New Yorkers and you say they don't want these normal, healthy things, then I respect your unfounded disingenuous opinion.

−1

djn24 t1_jc0g30n wrote

>Even if you find my specific preference too green, and you prefer pollution.

I don't live in NYC right now because I like more laid back places with easy access to nature. I like to currently spend as many of my days off as possible in the woods or in a kayak, and living in NYC at this point of my life wouldn't align with that. I actually get to do what I want with my free time right now because I live in a place that offers it. If I wanted to be back in the heart of a super busy metropolitan with a ridiculous amount of options for human interaction and food and entertainment options, then I would move back.

Part of growing up is realizing what you want and pursuing it with the options that you have available.

You only have so much time in life. Being miserable and telling everyone that you know how to make them happier better than they do sounds like an awful and lonely way to spend it.

Go ahead, fight with everyone around you and try to insult them. The rest of us are living our lives and enjoying ourselves. Give it a try. Or don't. Nobody really cares if you decide to be miserable or happy.

TwilitFox t1_jc0ec3z wrote

You're so disingenuous. You make bike riding sound like it's a fun little hobby and not an important and valid form of transportation for a big city. Bad faith logic, you're not honest.

−2

djn24 t1_jc0gb45 wrote

I ride my bike regularly to work and for fun. But I'm not going to tell other people that they don't know what "nice" is for their city or that your ideas to radically transform where you live are a good idea.

It's perfectly fine to advocate for the changes you want. But expecting a massive transformation for where you live isn't realistic, and calling people names for pointing out that it isn't realistic won't help you build any momentum toward making change and it won't help you convince your neighbors, especially when you tell them that they don't know what "nice" is.

If you don't like an area, then why live there? Move somewhere else that will make you happy because the general mindset of that area aligns with what you want out of life.

Grow up and stop throwing tantrums when people disagree with you.