Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mowotlarx OP t1_jcao397 wrote

>once you group misdemeanor, pending case, and violent felonies together.

Yes, that's generally how studies and averages work.Overall ricidivism is down. Period.

−22

PandaJ108 t1_jcaov3h wrote

When most New Yorkers care way more about violent repeat offenders overall ricidivism being down because misdemeanors rearrest deceased while violent felonies rearrest increase means little.

This is the second study in the past year that has claim “bail reform led to less rearrest” only for the numbers to clearly show that the overall decrease was driven solely by a drop in misdemeanor rearrest while felony rearrest rates increased.

matzoh_ball t1_jcaqmmg wrote

Violent felony re-arrest didn't increase though; it didn't change at all due to bail reform (or might have been gone down). Look at the bar chart on page 13 and the table below.

−7

NetQuarterLatte t1_jcatpfn wrote

The “overall” part is extremely disingenuous.

Because it counts things like petty theft or disorder conduct as if they are the same as felony violence.

They are very different and shouldn’t be lumped together.

matzoh_ball t1_jcb00ha wrote

They're not lumped together though. For bail ineligible people (i.e., people where judges could no longer set bail due to bail reform), overall re-arrest rates (regardless of charge) and felony re-arrest rates went down, while violent felony re-arrest rates and firearm re-arrest rates didn't change (see p.13 of the report).

−6

Mrmilkymilkster t1_jcapoad wrote

Yes, I care about the shoplifting recidivist just as much as I care about someone committing violent crimes or having an illegal gun 🙄🙄🙄

matzoh_ball t1_jcaqps7 wrote

Violent felony or firearm re-arrest didn't increase; it didn't change at all due to bail reform. Look at the bar chart on page 13 of the report.

−11