Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

casanovaelrey t1_jclsg1x wrote

I know the history of why it was created (or reintroduced). I know all of the reasons why you need one, how to get one, what is for, etc. It doesn't change the fact that you were wrong about a hukou being given for purchasing property.

We're digressing from the point though. The point being that with similar amounts of money, ridership, and size, Shanghai has a far superior metro system for a plethora of reasons. Even if we were to adjust spending to match cost of living, instead of looking at gross numbers, the MTA severely underperforms. Almost at a criminal level, if you ask me

jonnycash11 t1_jcm980w wrote

So, you’re acknowledging that I was correct about municipal revenue. Great we agree then.

We also agree that the MTA could be better.

As for the hukou, you’re either being intentionalIy pedantic or are having trouble following what I said.

Who told you there were other ways to change your household registration without buying property in a new city? Maybe if you’re a party member or doing research in a big city, yes, but otherwise that’s about the only way to do it. You can’t change household registration unless you have a new household!