Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dust1990 OP t1_jcmjr6o wrote

I’ll consider it. Median would probably be a better measure. Real wages definitely have gone up since 1904 though less so post 1980s. Open to suggestions on what you want to see.

gault8121 t1_jcmlzgu wrote

Could you plot median real wages against subway fare increases? E.g. if the average cost of a ticket has gone from $1.50 to $3 over 100 years, but the average real wages have tripled, the cost would be lower, correct?

dust1990 OP t1_jcmnufj wrote

Without pulling the data, yes that’s what I would expect. It’s still a relative bargain especially considering it’s not a zoned system like other systems (London, Tokyo, etc.)

Pennwisedom t1_jcno0m8 wrote

The Zones are hard to compare. For instance in Tokyo, on average the vast majority of the rides I took were about 160-190 yen each way, so basically $1.60-$1.90, on the Yamanote line itself the most expensive is 260 Yen. I definitely spend less money in a Month on the train in Japan than I do on the Subway.

Rides that cost more tend to go further out than the Subway system and would be more comparable to the LIRR or Metro North. But its not a perfect comparison and there are certainly specific places where it could be more, and not every train company has the same price structure.

gault8121 t1_jcmvira wrote

Yeah, for sure. It might be interesting to make that if you can get the data and have the time. Given how other tickets cost like $5, I do wonder whether the idea of say a $3.50 ticket is viable as a way of increasing fare revenue.