Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KaiDaiz t1_iqtw5jh wrote

and less trash also makes a giant difference. face it, there's not enough bins, alley or front sidewalk space to hide our trash that makes its removal economical & practical. Only way we can start talking about sensible trash storage is to store less of it. Start drastically reducing amount of trash...when our reduced trash output can fit in whatever bin design and haul away for cheap then we can talk about it

Over-Tackle5585 t1_iquhhfd wrote

I promise you that a change in how we store and dispose of trash will effect change way fucking faster than trying to change, en masse, how people conduct their lives.

Honestly the order you’re suggesting doesn’t even make sense. It’d be far easier to start with containerizing trash because we’d then at least be able to track and charge people for the waste they produce.

KaiDaiz t1_iqvtr8h wrote

You honestly think its easier to massively expand the sanitation force + dig a bunch of holes in ground or place other bins? The expense alone makes this unfeasible for city.

OR easier for city to slap fines and fees to correct our trash problem. Far easier and cheaper the later for city to implement fast.

−1

birthdaycakefig t1_iqvwzke wrote

Yea, because everything else the city slaps fines and fees on works out smoothly since our citizens are perfect law abiding and give a shit about others.

KaiDaiz t1_iqvy2mr wrote

have to start somewhere. fines and punishment has always been used by our society to correct behavior.

Over-Tackle5585 t1_iqw87ol wrote

Yes, I do think massive public works are far easier than changing individual behavior. Like so much easier it’s laughable to think otherwise. This city has a 100 billion budget and you think it’s impossible to do something every other city in the world of its size is capable of? Okay dude…yeah it’ll be way easier to get all 8 million people to collectively change the way they live their lives to be more inconvenient

shamam t1_iqw9g39 wrote

I can't even get my neighbors to break down their cardboard boxes before they put them in the trash room. It's 1 fucking piece of tape!

KaiDaiz t1_iqw8gqd wrote

barely afford the 100B budget but you want to add a few B out of no where for more sanitation on top of other budget woes? sure dude

Over-Tackle5585 t1_iqw94an wrote

What better things would that kind of money go to than the sanitation and cleanliness of New York? Are you affiliated with a waste disposal lobby or something? Containerizing trash would SAVE money in the long run as it makes trash disposal more efficient and quicker - thats why the waste disposal lobby is so staunchly against it. Literally just remove a parking spot or two from each block and throw a dumpster in.

KaiDaiz t1_iqw9a51 wrote

City cant afford it and don't have the manpower to do daily pickups. If you cant see that, you simply blind of reality. How often the city pick up your trash? think that small bin will hold it for the downtime for pickup? nope

Only way out of our trash mess is to drastically reduce the trash

Also not trash lobby

Over-Tackle5585 t1_iqw9g5j wrote

Lol. Ok waste disposal lobby bot. Let’s keep feeding the rats then. Lmk when you convince the entirety of the city to cut their trash output in half

mule_roany_mare t1_iqxbngx wrote

>How often the city pick up your trash?

3 times a week, pretty much everywhere in all of NYC

KaiDaiz t1_iqxd221 wrote

nah 2x where I live. either way def not everyday to make those bins work in example hence city can never afford to make these bins work for entire city