Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

603er t1_iqu7vmt wrote

Sure. But in Denver, say, as the trash truck comes to my waste bins at the front of the drive way, I’m sure they could specifically count my personal trash use. Im unsure of how that would work in NYC. Plus much of the waste we see piled on the streets comes from businesses where certain amounts of trash are inevitable.

The real solution would be to demolish existing NYC streets and make some alleys. Since that will never happen, a Barcelona giant container system seems feasible. This seems like an intermediate step.

KaiDaiz t1_iqu8gd1 wrote

No counting required since you have to use specific bags purchase from city. If not in those bag, they wont get picked and household fined. Simple process. More trash you generate, more bags you buy from city.

While those giant containers system look nice, it will simply cost a arm and leg to install and to get our sanitation to pick them up regularly. Plus need truck upgrades. So never going to happen due to cost.

−3

Shanghox t1_iqujas4 wrote

How would this work for people putting trash bags down apartment trash chutes?

KaiDaiz t1_iqvllbb wrote

if not in specify bag, building fined and not picked up. eventually everyone gets on board

GoPikachuGo1 t1_iqwr7zl wrote

Eventually everyone starts throwing bags of trash into the East River or right onto the FDR drive* lol.

I do appreciate your optimism and faith in the people of New York City though.

KaiDaiz t1_iqwva8q wrote

paying for excess trash is the norm for rest of world and most places in usa as well.

ripstep1 t1_ir027pj wrote

Then I put my garbage in a bag and place in front of my neighbors house