Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mikere t1_it4low3 wrote

paper straws are the WORST

wahikid t1_it6t8qa wrote

Right? How did people ever even LIVE for the decades that we all used paper straws exclusively, before plastic straws were a thing?

drcordell t1_it7o6sm wrote

They used “straw” straws made out of actual reeds. Honestly they’re pretty great!

wahikid t1_it7owl2 wrote

No, we all used paper straws. From the late 1880’s up till the mid 1960’s, paper straws were used almost exclusively. Somehow, they were totally acceptable and didn’t kill or maim massive amounts of people. Now, I am under zero illusions that plastic straws are the single most environmentally damaging use of plastic, by a long shot. Just that to say that they are the worst, or unusable, is laughably false.

heepofsheep t1_it8id0o wrote

I don’t know why people hate them so much… they work just fine for me and don’t fall apart in the 15min I might use one before throwing it out.

mikere t1_it8rcu9 wrote

For me, when I get a large soda from mcdonalds, it usually ends up sitting on my desk the whole afternoon while I take brief occasional sips. By the one hour mark, the paper straw is too soggy and so I have to take the lid off and drink without the straw. just a minor inconvenience imo that I don’t really care about

The biggest problem I have with paper straws though is it ends up giving whatever I’m drinking a tinge of cardboard flavor

heepofsheep t1_itab8v6 wrote

I feel like you got more of a casually drinking soda over long periods of time problem then a straw problem.

−1