Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NadzInTheCity OP t1_irkig05 wrote

Thank you. I hadn’t thought about seeing someone until this afternoon actually. That’s why I posted - I wanted to see if I was potentially blowing things our of proportion or if others have been feeling the same way.

TotalRuler1 t1_irkncdj wrote

Yeah, I wanted to chime in about either seeing someone or at least taking stock of your current mental / psychological state. When I was around your age I was overextending myself at work and on the weekends and began experiencing acute anxiety or panic attacks as a result.

Our situations are different, but the reason I am bringing it up is that with anxiety / panic type reactions, once you have a significant event, you can be more prone to experiencing them again in a short amount of time. It's almost like fatigue from anxiety triggering more anxiety. Anyways, be good to yourself, get more rest, drink water all the usual stuff, but keep an eye on yourself objectively and you might pick up on triggers ("fuck I'm freaking out, wait I'm also on 2 hours of sleep" etc.).

I know that feeling and it's a gross feeling of creeping dread and I hope you never have to feel that way again!!

NadzInTheCity OP t1_irkoeuq wrote

Thank you. I work in biglaw and work long hours, but it’s the same amount of work/stress as I experienced in college and I was never anxious because of it. I will definitely look into seeing a therapist, but i’m a little skeptical about what they would be able to do/say to make me feel better, especially as I can’t avoid walking/leaving my house.

TotalRuler1 t1_irkwnzq wrote

I threw in my two cents because I also feel that there's a limit to what talk therapy can offer here.

I think the thing that is vexing for people like you who have handled all sorts of situations over the years growing up here is the randomness of the threat - like straight up crime has a predictable beginning, middle and end and what's occurring now sounds like unprovoked assaults and menacing on a large scale which no one can prepare for. Really sucks.