Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Danjour t1_ixrcj2c wrote

I find it entertaining. The lawyer and the cop that speak to the class are pretty well spoken and kind of funny.

The tl;dr of it is anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. If it ever comes down to your word against theirs, you will lose. All you can do is help them, you can never help yourself by talking to the police so there is zero reason to do so.

Another Redditor TLDR’d the video as this.

“The first part by the professor states there is literally no circumstance where talking to the police helps you. If you say something that helps them make a case against you, they use it. If you say something that would save yourself, they ignore it. He gives several examples where seeming less and less talking to police would seemingly not get you convicted but then shows real life examples where even the tiniest "i was never in tuscon in february" statement can be used to get a conviction against you.

The second part is from a detective who states everything the professor said is true, hes legally allowed to lie to suspects to get them to confess, and gives a few details on the tricks he uses to get people to talk and get themselves prosecuted”

Yeah, don’t talk to the cops, they’re not your friends.

drpvn t1_ixrd5j7 wrote

I agree if we’re talking about a situation where there is a chance that you will conceivably be or become the target. And doubly so if you are stopped or arrested by the police.

But if people are victims of crime, they absolutely should report it—assuming, of course, that they themselves are not engaging in criminal conduct that police would find as interesting as or more interesting than the crime you’re reporting. Apart from that circumstance, telling people not to report crimes because you can’t trust the police is paranoid and harmful.

Danjour t1_ixrg75h wrote

That’s the thing, every situation with the cops can escalate to an arrest. You just don’t know.

I’m not saying don’t report any crimes, I’m saying don’t interact with the police. Call 911 if you have to, they aren’t the police.

Obviously if you get in a car crash and you need a report for insurance, you’re going to need to do that. If cops are going door to door asking for information about a string of robberies, fuck no. I’m not answering the door. I’m not asking cops for help, if i get pulled over I’m giving the least amount of information possible.

If i witness a murder or a rape, I’ll call 911 but no, I will not stick around to be questioned.

drpvn t1_ixrgu9t wrote

So you wouldn’t help the police identify a suspect in a rape you witnessed?

Danjour t1_ixrkz72 wrote

Only if compelled by a subpoena-

−1

jay5627 t1_ixt85fk wrote

Wow. You just said you'd rather have a rapist walking around than have the cops try to stop them

GnomeChomski t1_ixrleo4 wrote

Cops are apes. If you report a crime, don't identify yourself.

−2