Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

drpvn t1_ixre1y7 wrote

It’s a sad thing but some people are effectively bad down to their roots.

Lucid108 t1_ixrjzhx wrote

Respectfully, I think that essentializing people to "bad down to their roots" a cop-out to avoid having to ask the questions that it would take to legitimately address questions concerning justice and the treatment of criminals in general (even down to the non-violent offenders bc lets be honest when ppl think criminal, they think the "bad to the root" kind of person).

Like, I'm not about to say that people aren't capable of brutal and heinous things, given the wrong situation, I'm sure everyone can be. That said, basing foundational building blocks of our society on just punishing the worst people we can think of leaves the imagination blank for providing help for victims and, again, just preventing these tragedies from occurring in the first place. When all you have is a hammer (cops and prisons) every problem looks like a nail (criminal).

drpvn t1_ixrlmz5 wrote

Cops and prisons are not all we have and have never been all we have.

Thinking you’re going to eradicate crime by any means—whether by aggressive policing or by “addressing root causes”—is as foolish as thinking you’re going to eradicate any social problem. There has always been crime and there will always be crime. We have to manage it as best we can by using all society’s tools, which include policing, to strike the best balance we can.