Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tikihiki t1_iva2ll8 wrote

Hotels have 24 hour staff, are more consistent, clean your room each day, are conveniently located to touristy places. Both have pros and cons and I disagree that Airbnb's are objectively "worth more".

CactusBoyScout t1_ivajbi3 wrote

The entire initial appeal of Airbnb, in my view, was being away from designated tourist zones and having a kitchen if I wanted to cook. And that’s it.

But they ruined it with outrageous fees and host demands.

phoenixmatrix t1_ivdjre6 wrote

>and having a kitchen if I wanted to cook

There's plenty of hotels that have kitchens (at least in big cities). Just need to specifically look for one. Doesn't fix the other reasons, but that one one is overblown.

ctindel t1_iva3qpj wrote

The Marriott hotels I’ve stayed in lately don’t clean your room every day, I guess as a cost cutting measure.

There are plenty of airbnbs in touristy neighborhoods too. I’d say the majority of people would rather have more space and a kitchen than 24 hour staff. I agree about the consistency though obviously it’s a huge value that large chains bring, and rewards points. My coworkers for years, at least as far back as 2014 choose to stay in airbnbs on business trips but I like those rewards points!

I only stay at Airbnb when I’m going somewhere with a group and we want a house/cabin to hang out in together.

HuntOk3506 t1_ivb29t9 wrote

>> The Marriott hotels I’ve stayed in lately don’t clean your room every day, I guess as a cost cutting measure.

This is a US thing. Outside of the states the hotels do what they are paid for.

ctindel t1_ivbdldv wrote

Maybe. This only started during covid and persisted during the ensuing labor shortage. TBH I don’t want someone coming into my room during a stay so I always left the DND sign up anyway. I like not having to worry about a cleaning fee when I leave though, that was always some bullshit about Airbnb.