Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Warpedme t1_ix17eji wrote

It absolutely should not be the responsibility of businesses or residents of NYC to remove snow from the sidewalk. That should fall entirely on the DSNY. It would be far more reliable and better done if they did.

IllegibleLedger t1_ix39vec wrote

You think DSNY should shovel every sidewalk in the entire city in the course of a few hours?

Warpedme t1_ix3hhux wrote

If they are doing that much sidewalk space they can easily buy those socialized snow removal ATV-like machines that the wealthy buildings use.

I would be more reasonable about the time it takes but I would fully expect them to clear all sidewalks, in all 4 boroughs, faster, better and far more efficiently than it currently is done.

IllegibleLedger t1_ix3idmq wrote

You get that during all this time DSNY is generally fully occupied clearing streets and roads right?

Warpedme t1_ix3k5fw wrote

You get that they can hire people for this? They don't even need to be full time. Hell, I know at least two dozen people (including myself) who would sign up to only be employed on snow days to do exactly this.

IllegibleLedger t1_ix3l9qp wrote

And DSNY gets that money where? By all means go and push for this as it could get thousands employed temporarily and solve the issue but it would take a literal citizens’ movement to set this up and allocate the funds, maintain it and so on. The minute a dollar gets wasted the Post will be out there doxxing you with the headline SLOPPY SNOW JOB at the top. But seriously go for it I’d love to see it happen