Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BuddyBear17 t1_iwuiayt wrote

As someone that once lived a short walk from here and moved away a while back, this is beautiful.

onewordpoet OP t1_iwumj5v wrote

Where'd ya go? And whyd ya move?

BuddyBear17 t1_iwv4bmc wrote

Maine, after having a kid and wanting to be closer to his grandparents, who retired up this way. Left a sweet City job and pension behind to do it, but it has made daily life easier (if markedly less exciting/interesting).

onewordpoet OP t1_iwvvg2e wrote

Maines the shit. I have family there that I like to visit every summer in Naples. Grandparents too strangely enough. Hope it's nice up there

OhHeyMrThing t1_iwucpjq wrote

Wow, this is pretty nice!

onewordpoet OP t1_iwuenkn wrote

Thanks! I'm sure you've seen but you can see more of my work here.

Hidethegoodbiscuits t1_iwx5oxu wrote

Excellent work! I will post the link to my Facebook wall, I have 400+ fellow New Yorkers who will enjoy.

Leena52 t1_iwue8ts wrote

Very nice. Truly captures the essence with limited brush strokes. I like!

onewordpoet OP t1_iwuem07 wrote

Thanks! I like painting there cause there's a shitload of spots to stand. Tons of space!

Leena52 t1_iwufequ wrote

I was wondering if it was easy for you to paint there and you answered. I’m a fan of Leroy Neiman’s work and yours had similar feel with a heavier use of color.

onewordpoet OP t1_iwufmfs wrote

Thanks Leena. Definitely one of the easier places to paint. I try to go to parks and large squares for space but I have done my fair share of sidewalk painting. Still good! just more hectic.

Huge compliment! I've been trying to desaturate my work but I can't seem to get away from color. Oh well

Leena52 t1_iwufw39 wrote

Nothing wrong with color, just commenting on the difference. Go paint!

ILoveTabascoSauce t1_iwv2g8q wrote

Trying to determine which view this is. Is that 770 Broadway in the background?

Mr___Person t1_iwv3qcs wrote

I want to say this is looking South from the corner of Astor Place and Lafayette.

From here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7298579,-73.99142,3a,58.2y,223.39h,98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPn1ItECbicgknqpgogB8pA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

onewordpoet OP t1_iwx6fpy wrote

This is the spot. There's the theater on the corner but it was a bit too dark to get in there. Just a slight suggestion

Fortyseven t1_iwvwlqr wrote

Random question concerning "the process", that I probably already know the answer to, but it'd be nice to hear first hand. :D

As an artist, how does one deal with, say, that guy in the bottom left. Or the people and cars on the road. They don't stay still, realistically, so they can't hold still while you render them onto the canvas.

My best guess was that these are amalgams of things seen while out there, drawn from memory after they've moved on?

How does that work, for you?

onewordpoet OP t1_iwvx6gq wrote

Usually you can use the general forms of people you see as reference. A person walking along the road generally looks pretty similar so if you can nail that shorthand it doesn't really matter if you're getting a likeness or anything. No one's gonna know if those cars were even there or not. So just pick a car out or a person out and draw inspiration from the scene. Maybe someone's wearing a nice hat nut isn't in the right position. Stuff like that.

So yeah, lots of memory. Just using what the scene gives you and working it to your paintings needs!

KustyTheKlown t1_iwvxm3i wrote

that is very nice. i was curious how the midjourney AI bot would do with the same idea. i fed it 'astor place in new york city on a warm autumn day' and it gave me this:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1020871176345620521/1043246078671196180/progress_image_100_2724878a-f7d8-4122-b9cd-c491e8264b38.webp?width=619&height=619

onewordpoet OP t1_iwvxx4p wrote

Some people have told me my paintings look like Ai and I don't know how to feel lol. I love it as a medium though. It's fascinating. Especially that feeded image.

KustyTheKlown t1_iwvy1gm wrote

lol. this particular AI tool does consistently resemble your work, but your work and work of your style predates the AI so the AI is copying you, not the other way around. it is very fun and interesting tho.

onewordpoet OP t1_iwvyem0 wrote

Yes of course and I agree. Just a funny thing to think about! It's be cool to incorporate it into the work somehow but I haven't thought hard enough about it yet

idanrecyla t1_iwuo1wz wrote

This is really beautiful and really captures the neighborhood. You're very talented

iartnewyork t1_ix4zd8o wrote

Gorgeous!!! Cheers to you from a fellow artist 🎨 🙌 👏 👌 ✨️ 👍

[deleted] t1_iwutfm9 wrote

This is wonderful

jy0s t1_iwv6xgu wrote

Love this!

Great work!

WholesomeBred t1_iwxbcva wrote

Wow this has so much feeling and depth. Love it!!

Imarriedafrenchman t1_iwyl5bm wrote

Shit. If I were not poor, I’d offer to buy that. It’s beautiful!