Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

09-24-11 t1_iw025j6 wrote

The article is reporting the union is fighting against illegal eviction where a landlord will change locks and remove possessions without going through housing court. Regardless of underlying beliefs (like anti-capitalism) I think we can all agree that no one should support illegal evictions.

GhostOfArendt t1_iw03a1n wrote

Then the solution is more judges and faster-moving courts.

4zem t1_iw1d5bo wrote

I hope! I have been trying to evict someone who hasn’t paid rent in almost 15 months and is constantly smoking weed in the hallways, poured bleach on plants in the vegetable garden, and would literally blast music from 1am-3am while the tenant in the neighboring apartment was dying from cancer. I’m all for helping out people in need, but this dude is something else. Can’t wait until he’s gone, and court got pushed back to December again.

09-24-11 t1_iw03dpj wrote

Completely agree. I just don’t think underlying beliefs should invalidate legitimate concerns.

ClaymoreMine t1_iw2t5hp wrote

They should also fight for beneficial ownership disclosures for buildings. The LLC shell game employed is disgusting.

Rtn2NYC t1_iw88fpk wrote

Write your congressional reps and tell them you support public access to Beneficial Ownership Secure System (BOSS), the database currently being created to house that information under the new regulations implementing the Corporate Transparency Act.