Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WatchesAndNYC t1_iy51qa6 wrote

Inwood in wood

bitchthatwaspromised t1_iy6jxk3 wrote

Nearly cried when I saw the Inwood representation!

Buteverysongislike t1_iy7h8rs wrote

Justice for Marble Hill

bowery_boy t1_iy8fy2g wrote

The modern war of our times. The great border conflict. We must hold back the Grand Army of the Bronx no matter the cost.

rentoff t1_iy52cqi wrote

This is a neat little laser project but what’s up with the Lower East Side label? If you’re looking to sell these, I would suggest just shrinking the font. If not, to each their own.

the_letharg1c t1_iy6t2zx wrote

The type choices overall are kind of driving me nuts. :)

manticorpse t1_iy87dzm wrote

I do like the way "Washington Hts" and "Morningside Hts" are tilted to match the angle of north/Broadway.

I do NOT like the way the word "Heights" was needlessly abbreviated in both of those cases.

I also don't like the haphazard way labels are rotated both clockwise and counterclockwise, nor the way some are left-justified, others are right-justified, and others are centered.

I also don't like that Marble Hill and Roosevelt Island are missing. And I wish Hudson Square was pulled out of Soho.

Still, it includes Inwood, which is ... unusual. And appreciated.

the_letharg1c t1_iy8ghpk wrote

Totally. It’s design chaos with variable type size, weight, spacing, orientation, abbreviation, you name it. Central Park is also not a neighborhood… this piece would really have benefited from some negative space there.

MattJFarrell t1_iy550d7 wrote

This is just an ad. This guy posts these all the times. check his post history.

RichBitchDress t1_iy5h4l3 wrote

It’s inaccurate but cool

Albert4470 t1_iy5ls83 wrote

What’s it missing ?

RichBitchDress t1_iy5mhwa wrote

Hamilton heights what the first thing I noticed that was missing. But Yorkville too.

garnett8 t1_iy5qsvb wrote

I bet you have to make a cutoff somewhere, there just wouldn't be enough room unless you really shrunk down the font size or increased the size of the map.

Here is prob the best map for the neighborhoods in nyc. https://www.nyc.gov/assets/planning/download/pdf/data-maps/city-neighborhoods/dcp-city-of-neighborhoods-2022.pdf

RichBitchDress t1_iy5tv23 wrote

Morning side heights is sooooo small compared to Washington heights. I understand in the cause of smaller hoods that make up ues

transitapparel t1_iy67goq wrote

Still doesn't show borders though of the individual neighborhoods. It's crazy to me that the prime authority to establish those borders is hesitant to do so.

Frenzyplants t1_iy6qwrm wrote

Hamilton Heights like Manhattanville or Sugar Hill are not real neighborhoods. Nobody says I'm from Manhattanville lol. They say they're from Harlem.

TonyzTone t1_iy6fbdk wrote

Add in NOMAD and Alphabet City as possible additions.

Tyzed t1_iy85d2o wrote

hamilton heights in in harlem though…?

nychuman t1_iy72amv wrote

A lot. Lenox Hill, Yorkville. Manhattanville. Hudson Square. Many others.

Map is actually pretty shit if I’m being honest and seems like a shill post if anything. Not sure why this sub is jerking off over it.

msuozzo t1_iy5u0oo wrote

Is /r/mapsmissingmarblehill a thing yet?

sonofdang t1_iy5atwx wrote

Lawyer established side

foxhole_atheist t1_iy9qf5w wrote

Stuy Town is a more legit abbreviation and OP didn’t feel that was necessary for an area less than half the size of the LES

ssn156357453 t1_iy5l9s6 wrote

Midtown isn’t a neighborhood

TotallyNotGlenDavis t1_iy6hoc8 wrote

What do you call the area around like 50th and 6th?

ssn156357453 t1_iy6nvx3 wrote

I'd call it Rockefeller center but ok fine yeah midtown. but like most of what people call midtown isn't midtown. It's just they don't know the real neighborhood names.

−22

123DanB t1_iy6bmr6 wrote

Super correct, and Hell’s Kitchen is formally known as both Clinton and Midtown West. Hell’s Kitchen is an informal name.

−18

ssn156357453 t1_iy6cdef wrote

Yes what happened to it being called Clinton

123DanB t1_iy6cruc wrote

HK is the term I use with my NYC people, but I use Midtown West to non-NYC people because it geographically explains better where it is. But the most correct name is “Clinton” for sure.

−3

TotallyNotGlenDavis t1_iy6hwag wrote

Wasn't Clinton just a PR push by realtors because people didn't want to live in place called Hell's Kitchen? Literally every person from the city calls it HK.

stannc00 t1_iy6u5wi wrote

“Hudson Yards” hasn’t caught on yet? 🤪

AwesomeSaucer9 t1_iy5255q wrote

Would be super cool to see the other boroughs too!

stannc00 t1_iy6u1j7 wrote

Battery Park City

Zero7Cool t1_iy6sv60 wrote

Yo…where’s Meatpacking at?

darkpassenger9 t1_iy71wnf wrote

Two Bridges is a neighborhood, but Hamilton Heights isn’t?

bobthememequeen t1_iy8jtos wrote

The fonts being all over the place in size and orientation is mildly infuriating. Basically you input a bunch of stuff into a computer and the machine did all of this?

Odd_Inter3st t1_iy59j4q wrote

Is Nolita really the nickname for north of little Italy? Genuinely asking

randomgeneticdrift t1_iy5bnm4 wrote

yep, pretty stupid. just like DUMBO is Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass

zachotule t1_iy89m2f wrote

It was named that by real estate ghouls. Regular people don’t call it that

OtroladoD t1_iy7vsjc wrote

Forgot Ktown - you do have little Italie so …

blankblank t1_iy8fg35 wrote

Man, Central Park is a miracle. How they kept that much prime real estate out of the hands of developers is beyond me.

luckylebron t1_iy7jyt5 wrote

Manhattan has more girth than that.

bowery_boy t1_iy8gixn wrote

You have to tilt the map on your wall in the proper northeasterly angle... it does not run straight on a north/south axis. In which case, the font should be angled.

BasedAlliance935 t1_iy7uekk wrote

Why does manhattan now look like a beefed up chicken bone?

arseman11 t1_iy8l4bp wrote

Where’s Alphabet?

SeaworthinessOne2114 t1_iy8mzez wrote

That's really pretty cool. Coming from a family of men handy with wood and I had a wood burning (child burning too if not careful) kit as a kid. Long before lasers were a reality.

adam21212 t1_iy9fj9z wrote

Looks like it was made at the West!

Mattna-da t1_iyajs4m wrote

You’ve left out the West Soho Region of NY, WESOHORNY

bklyn1977 t1_iy6ca6g wrote

Do people in other cities hang maps of their city in the wall? This feels like such a tourist/reddit thing. Fucking corny.

SpeedingShamrock t1_iy8jghw wrote

This is dope dope. Abbreviate as you please even if it is driving us crazy

123DanB t1_iy6bfdv wrote

Manhattanville is a distinct neighborhood between MoHi and Harlem.. has been since before the revolutionary war.

And Harlem is absolutely three neighborhoods: West, Central, and East Harlem. You can’t just glomb central and west Harlem together.. do you even live here??

−1

[deleted] t1_iy7wu15 wrote

Ahahaha MoHi?! I can’t with these they’re getting ridiculous! Let’s just call Chelsea ‘Che’ now like Che Guevara.

DryGumby t1_iy63vvk wrote

Missed a "." After Washington Hts

−2

liquorandkarate t1_iy6jqkb wrote

Love this ,very rarely is uptown included with in manhattan maps, a lot of them stop at Harlem …

Edit :gentrifiers and Mfers from Idaho and Wisconsin downvoting my comment is hilarious

−2

cdhernandez t1_iy72sxo wrote

Very cool! As someone who just moved here last year (visiting since young though), I need something like this so I know where things are.

−2

ClintGrant t1_iy5j38e wrote

Looks fantastic

−3

Makeyoownmoney t1_iy636vn wrote

Absolutely sharp and gorgeous. Alternating the grain direction was key, plus using finer grain for the actual island. Well done in every way. (A Hood Maps would be a bit too busy...)

−3

alphalphasprouts t1_iy5m3ro wrote

This is the most accurate map of NYC I’ve seen in a long time- thanks for including uptown (Washington Heights AND Inwood)!

−11

liquorandkarate t1_iy9ce5c wrote

I commented something similar and the transplants got mad because they don’t get it